Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What do you consider "In Shape"?

What do you consider "In Shape" for elk season?

• I run marathons to stay in shape. Maybe even a 50 miler.

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • I run 1/2 marathons to stay in shape. I shoot for 13 miles in under 2 hours.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I feel that being able to run 6 miles in an hour or less is in shape.

Votes: 56 19.4%
  • I spend the entire summer hiking and scouting to get in shape. Lots of elevation gains worked in.

Votes: 103 35.8%
  • I don't "work out", but am very active at work. I spend a lot of time outdoors all year long.

Votes: 65 22.6%
  • I feel that being able to jog a couple miles or so means that I'm in shape.

Votes: 29 10.1%
  • In shape, what's that? I'm a couch potato and don't understand why anyone would work out.

Votes: 12 4.2%

• Total voters
Nathan - nice work. It could truly turn into an addiction much like hunting. And like hunting, it's more about the journey than the destination. Being is fit a game changer when hunting. Funny thing, I've logged 1000s of miles running and racing and haven't taken nearly as many trophy photos as most guys around this place. Funny how that works

Congrats on setting and then surpassing goals! My shortcomings in both my fitness and hunting are my drive so I truly appreciate your accomplishments.

Nice work npaden. quite an accomplishment.

For two seasons, while I lived in the midwest, I was training for olympic distance triathlons - this translated really nicely to hunting mule deer in ID. that level of fitness was suitable to getting around the mountains ok.

While I'm not in that kind of shape now (really doubt I could swim a mile, or bike 100), I can easily out perform my previous self in the mountains. I'm lucky enough to now live at 8,300' in northern CO - so I spend the summer backpacking, scouting, etc. Winter backcountry nordic skiing as well. Can easily lay down 10-15mi hikes and not be too fatigued. My previous self would have been exhausted.

What I'm getting at is, that nothing beats training by simulating the motion/activity you are going to be doing. So in my experience, climbing hills/mtns with pack weight is the best prep for a backpack hunt. But being in outstanding aerobic shape combined with strength training is next best if you don't have easy access to simulating a mountain hunt.

...a day shy of 6 weeks from spine cut & up to an hour a day of variable stat bike, elliptical, and treadmill w/incline. Anxious to resume resistance training when doc says ok...should be soon.

Marathoners are whack.

...a day shy of 6 weeks from spine cut & up to an hour a day of variable stat bike, elliptical, and treadmill w/incline. Anxious to resume resistance training when doc says ok...should be soon.

good luck w/your recovery

Marathoners are whack.

yeah, you don't have to be an ultra runner to succeed in the mtns. You've got to train your body to accept activity for very extended periods of time - at least in my experience. I'm not finding the elk in my area too close to the roads :)

A combination of Anaerobic and Aerobic fitness is "in shape".

That requires weight lifting and cardiovascular exercise. How far you want to take either will determine how "in shape" you are.

I hit the weights 5-6 days a week. I change up my split every 6weeks (reps/sets/exercises/muscle groups worked per day). I run, row (the best full body workout you can get out of water), and cycle for cardio around 4 times a week with a focus on high intensity.

Studies show that ultra long cardiovascular exercise may not be the only way to get in good cardio shape. High intensity training is proving to be great way to raise one's V02max.

Last edited:
JWP58 aligns with my certified and acreddited professional opinion, and the idea that high intensity training is a great way to increase VO2 max.

I slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

Hmm don't really know how to take this?? Too technical?

Should I have said "lift heavy shit and run a lot"?

I thought it was a compliment...but I slept at home.;)

JW, you're spot on about the mix. Might be a better simulation for me to do cardio while trying to breathe thru a cocktail straw.

Every other day, I try to hike 3-4 miles with at least 30lbs in the pack. 50lbs for 5+ miles once a week.

I spend 10+ hours a day at work on my feet, carrying 10-20 pounds of tools and fasteners. It helps too.

A combination of Anaerobic and Aerobic fitness is "in shape".

That requires weight lifting and cardiovascular exercise. How far you want to take either will determine how "in shape" you are.

I hit the weights 5-6 days a week. I change up my split every 6weeks (reps/sets/exercises/muscle groups worked per day). I run, row (the best full body workout you can get out of water), and cycle for cardio around 4 times a week with a focus on high intensity.

Studies show that ultra long cardiovascular exercise may not be the only way to get in good cardio shape. High intensity training is proving to be great way to raise one's V02max.

I agree with all of the above about all-round good shape. I guess my definition of "in shape" for elk hunting is different. I used to prescribe to a workout regime similar to above, but now I've actually reduced muscle mass above the waist by about 10lb after quitting weightlifting. Now have less mass to carry around the mountains which also requires extra calories to feed. Getting leaner and meaner, just like my backpack and gear.

That is my $0.02 - I guess if I didn't live in the mountains, I'd likely still be going for the all-round workout to prepare for elk hunting - as I did the 20 years I lived in the Midwest.

My soon to be new job, cell tower technician, after going to school for wind turbine technician, at age 51, should keep me in shape. Should be a work-out, legs and upper body, climbing 2-300ft cell towers 2-3 times a day.

Take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, because I'm fat so me giving advice on getting in shape is like Nick Nolte giving advice on not acting crazy.

I've been playing with high intensity training for a couple of years now with a moderate level of dedication. :D Before that I was doing more 'typical' in workouts like lifting 3X/wk and jogging 3X/wk. Something I've noticed with the change in workouts is how fast I recover. The high intensity stuff, at least for me, doesn't really allow me to go much longer before needing to take a break, but I don't have to take nearly as long a break. It's much easier to get my legs back under me and go again. FWIW.

The training plan I was following for my marathon was the Hansons Marathon Method. They are big proponents of "cumulative fatigue" to build up endurance. At the peak before the marathon I had run for 123 consecutive days for a total of 971 miles for an average of 7.9 miles per day.

So far I still do enough chores around the house and my hobby farm to keep my upper body strong, so I have never needed to do any weight training, but I'm possibly going to start adding a few body weight exercises to help make sure on that this summer. (push ups, sit ups, squats, etc.).

I have a treadmill now and I'm probably going to get a few workouts in before the fall walking on the treadmill at a steep incline with my boots and a loaded pack to see how that goes as well.

The big thing that I wanted to do with this thread originally and the main reason I've bumped it a few times now, is to point out that actually doing something to get in shape for hunting makes the hunting much more enjoyable and productive in my opinion. Just like the poll says, there are a lot of different ways to get in shape, but actually working on getting in shape makes a big difference.

Noharley - how is that back of your's sir? Are you going to be able to carry a pack?

Good thread npaden. Gets the blood flowing. Imagine this is motivating many Hunt Talkers right now.

Colorado draw results should be out soon. Will know then what the hard training will be for.

I am big on functional fitness. I don't worry about run times, I focus more on the ability to get the job done. If what ever you workout is allows you to go the extra mile to get into the nasty stuff to root out a a nice 6x6, you are doing it right. I think the key is finding a workout routine you can stick with, and you aren't miserable doing.

Does anyone else out there play recreational sports to add variety their workouts? I play hockey 2 mornings a week during the winter/spring and one morning a week summer/fall, and it is a serious smoke session. I would say maybe beer league softball might not contribute a lot to overall fitness, but it does add a level of fun, and it keeps you off the couch.

I am big on functional fitness. I don't worry about run times, I focus more on the ability to get the job done. If what ever you workout is allows you to go the extra mile to get into the nasty stuff to root out a a nice 6x6, you are doing it right. I think the key is finding a workout routine you can stick with, and you aren't miserable doing.

+1 to that.

I've found that a road bike is my key to enjoying exercise. My knees are not made for running, but I can sit on the bike and pedal all day long. It's been a great way to enjoy getting exercise instead of making it feel like a job. Hoping to be in good enuf shape to do a couple races at the end of summer.

Also, some time in the gym to get the core strength for carrying a pack. I try and go on a hike with my pack about once a week all summer.

The last couple of years I've fallen into the "jog a couple of miles and I'm good to go" crowd. I've got about 10lbs. of belly fat I'd like to get rid of... stupid desk job.

I used to work in the field most of the time and keeping fit was never an issue. Now that I'm on the wrong side of 35 I need to start taking better care of myself.

I'm going to set a goal of doing more cardio on the mtn. bike and wearing a heavy pack while walking the dog with my wife twice a week. We just found out her blood pressure is through the roof and she has Lupus so we both need to take better care of ourselves.

I am 43 and about 6'1" 215. The Army requires me to run 2 miles once a year for their enjoyment and I do that in around 14 minutes here at +-6000ft. Did the last one two weeks ago and when the first mile was 6:40 I had to pull bag the reigns a little :) After some injuries acquired in the last 18 years, running continually would not be a good idea so I am on low impact-high intensity cardio. An hour at lunch everyday of either eliptical set to a challenging level or spinning regimine. For variety we also do 6 and 12 mile ruckmarches around post and this.....http://www.manitouincline.com/manitou-incline-photos/ That one is really funny when you get flat-landers who think they are in shape :) If we are feeling particularly sadistic we will ruck the incline...you will definitely pay for that one though....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back