Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What crossbow?

lewgroth

Hi Guys, I want to keep hunting and have no choice to start looking at crossbows. I am 72 with a very bad sholder, I can get along with it the way it is but I can't pull a bow enough to stay in tune. I don't know much about crossbows so I am looking for some advice as to what to look at? I know lots of you guys are against them but some day as you get older you may change like I did.

Thanks, the price is all over the place. I have been looking on the internet and they all have the best, Is the speed a big thing? or is there a point where not much return on the extra cash spent?

I'm a big fan of Ten Point. Very expensive but I believe they build a quality crossbow. I've got the Stealth and absolutely love it.

Have you had any other brands? I was at an archery shop and saw them and Meyers, I shot the Meyers, I think it was model 360 something and that seemed ok. If I remember right the Ten point was a little heaver but I don't know what model it was.. It is very confusing with all the brands and models.

I purchased a Ten Point Titan HLX 2 years ago when I couldn't hunt archery season due to shoulder injury/surgery and really like it. I have switched back to my Hoyt compound but my wife has claimed the Ten Point. She actually never hunted prior to shooting the crossbow and now hunts regularly. I think they are very well built and reliable. Good luck.

Have you had any other brands? I was at an archery shop and saw them and Meyers, I shot the Meyers, I think it was model 360 something and that seemed ok. If I remember right the Ten point was a little heaver but I don't know what model it was.. It is very confusing with all the brands and models.

No, been with Ten Point since 1997.

My father shoots a Tenpoint and really likes it. I would get one with a handcrank to @#)(# it if you have bad shoulders.

My family has a Parker Tornado. Its accurate, fast and pretty quiet. My kids and my wife love shooting it. P.S Don't appologize to anyone. If it keeps you in the woods, who cares what some of these clowns might think or say. :D

TenPoint is a smart way to go, lots of options. Also, if you have issues "drawing" the xbow there are drawing aides to use. Some as simply as generic pulley types to elaborate stock mounted ratchets.

That was a great show, I feel it was the best this season, but Randy dose a great job on all of them. Hope we can meet some time, I met Randy at the RMEF elk camp a year ago.

Thanks!

I see you are just down the road in Zumbrota. Some good deer hunting land that way.

It looks like the Ten Point has the vote so far but what model? I am still open to brands yet.

I think it depends on your budget. I love my Stealth with the compact limbs (but a little heavy) but with a $1200 pricetag it may not be for everyone. The Titan is a solid choice, I have a buddy that shoots that one.

Spend the $$ for the acu-draw crank, you wont regret it.

you are correct, the price range is all over the place, and thousands of options. I would suggest holding as many as you can and shhoting them too. I have had 3, 2 Barnett and 1 Horton. They all shoot good, they are all loud, the differences are in draw weight, power stroke,overall weight, length and width, and of course price. I really don't think that the $1,400+ bows shoot any better than the one mentioned by John in the above post (Jackal) I'm a Barnett fan, so, I reccommend looking into their line. I have had zero problems with them. Also, I agree with Curdog. . .do whatever it takes to keep you in the woods!!!! Good luck and let us know.

My family has a Parker Tornado. Its accurate, fast and pretty quiet. My kids and my wife love shooting it. P.S Don't appologize to anyone. If it keeps you in the woods, who cares what some of these clowns might think or say. :D

+1

I was hoping this thread would be like the last crossbow thread. It was downright embarrassing what some of the folks were saying. I remember one clown calling them gaybows.

Right on brother!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back