Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What a way to start the wisconsin first ever elk hunt

not sure why the guide wasn't cited? I'm pretty sure the 73 y/o man wasn't the one who dragged the elk to the other side of the road to gut it

In this instance I would think it's pretty clear that the guide didn't have much direct involvement in this hunter's choice to shoot from the road. The hunter knows, or should know, that that is illegal. However, I do agree the guide should have been cited for his/ her actions after the shot.

Wisconsin has many ethically challenged hunters. Maybe that’s true everywhere but I’ve seen some ugly stuff on public land. Tons of trespassing on private too.

My personal favorite is watching the chat boards after the seasons close. It’s either “look at my huge buck I’m the best hunter ever” ....or.....”the DNR has screwed up the state & there’s no deer left!”

I think the over abundance of deer/doe tags has made for a sense of entitlement. People expect to kill a deer every time out. so if it gets hard they start cutting corners ethically or blaming others.

Hunting does always build character but it reveals it

Definitely not the kind of press that you want with a hunt like this...especially in today's clickbait/react first culture. This is the stuff that while it seems like it is just one instance, will have a large impact on a lot of people. Wishing it was a positive article about how great of a recovery story this was and that a lucky hunter was able to fulfill his dreams of hunting elk in Wisconsin...instead we have a tool making a dumb decision

A gravel forest road while no deer gun season is going on. I understand the law, but not like he’s shooting from a major highway.

Wisconsin has many ethically challenged hunters. Maybe that’s true everywhere but I’ve seen some ugly stuff on public land. Tons of trespassing on private too.

My personal favorite is watching the chat boards after the seasons close. It’s either “look at my huge buck I’m the best hunter ever” ....or.....”the DNR has screwed up the state & there’s no deer left!”

I think the over abundance of deer/doe tags has made for a sense of entitlement. People expect to kill a deer every time out. so if it gets hard they start cutting corners ethically or blaming others.

Hunting does always build character but it reveals it

I've seen 'ethically challenged hunters' in many states.

But I am in agreement with some of the things you stated. I really hate to see this anywhere, but on the Inaugural hunt, truly a shame. A 'black eye' on what could have been a positive
hunting scenario for a limited amount of hunters issued the tags.

I saw that. What a shame. An old guy doesn't know not to shoot from a road, and a "guide" that puts him on such a HUGE bull... lol.

Back