Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What a crappie day

seeth07

Well actually the best fishing we have had on this lake in quite a few years!!! Annual 4th of July camping trip on a lake we are very familiar with and the crappie population is at a peak

Edit: reception is bad and apparently photo won't go...

Last edited:
Got lazy this afternoon, decided to troll small spoons and Rapalas around while drinking beer...Holy moly did we find a new way to catch high noon crappies. We smoked em! They loved those spoons and we constantly were catching em and filled the boat cooler once again in just 2 hours. Supper time now with some ribs that have been cooking all day.

A great summer pattern for filling the cooler with big crappie is trolling #4 & #5 Flicker Shad, especially in Chrome Clown, Purple Tiger & Bluegill pattern. Speed between 1.4 - 2.0mph.
I get them anywhere from just outside of the weedline to suspended fish in 25' fow.
That's interesting. I've walleye fished a couple times this year and trolled almost exactly how you describe. Did well on walleye, and even caught a carp proper, in the mouth, trolling that shad.

But no perch, and no crappie. I was kinda surprised, but I think it was probably the location I was fishing.

A great summer pattern for filling the cooler with big crappie is trolling #4 & #5 Flicker Shad, especially in Chrome Clown, Purple Tiger & Bluegill pattern. Speed between 1.4 - 2.0mph.
I get them anywhere from just outside of the weedline to suspended fish in 25' fow.
We are using vmc ice fishing spoons and Rapala mini rippin raps

Is that a homemade cooler?
Yes indeed. And honestly, it's way better than a yeti. Kept 40 lbs of ice, while sitting in the sun, from Thursday at 9pm to today at 4pm when we pulled it off the water. About 5lb left at that time. Mind you we also were constantly opening and closing it to put fish in and grab beers!

It's 2x4 cedar framed, with frp panels. Insulated solid with closed cell foam. Bottom is tapered to drain with a min of 2 inches of foam

Yes indeed. And honestly, it's way better than a yeti. Kept 40 lbs of ice, while sitting in the sun, from Thursday at 9pm to today at 4pm when we pulled it off the water. About 5lb left at that time. Mind you we also were constantly opening and closing it to put fish in and grab beers!

It's 2x4 cedar framed, with frp panels. Insulated solid with closed cell foam. Bottom is tapered to drain with a min of 2 inches of foam
Cool! (pun intended). frp = ?, fiberglass reinforced plastic?

I've been thinking of making one for my boat because I can't find a new ice chest that fits in the preferred spot. The old ~30 quart is falling apart, and it was often not big enough anyway. But I could make a much longer version, sort of like what you got. The width is limited to ~12-1/2 inches which is the problem with the commercial coolers. I'm rarely out more than a day so it doesn't have to compete with a Yeti.

Love those crappie. I hope to get some more WI fish.veggies and WT brought to me this year again.
A lifesaver in NM.

Love those crappie. I hope to get some more WI fish.veggies and WT brought to me this year again.
A lifesaver in NM.
Where do you live in NM, send me a PM! Maybe I can make a stop while I'm passing through as I'll be in NM twice this fall/early winter.

Where do you live in NM, send me a PM! Maybe I can make a stop while I'm passing through as I'll be in NM twice this fall/early winter.
Pie Town area. SW NM.
I have my buddy coming out for elk again in Dec., and I always welcome his visits.
I get sweet garden corn, green beans, white tail, and WI homemade wieners. And bags of fillets of walleye,crappie/panfish,trout and salmon.

Thanks for the offer.

Pie Town area. SW NM.
I have my buddy coming out for elk again in Dec., and I always welcome his visits.
I get sweet garden corn, green beans, white tail, and WI homemade wieners. And bags of fillets of walleye,crappie/panfish,trout and salmon.

Thanks for the offer.
Why no fresh cheese curds, pure maple syrup and frozen custard? Must not a natural born Wisconsinite :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back