WFGinKodiak II

WFGinNM

After getting back to the "Spirit" our homefor the week, we move up into Deadman Bay to hide from the wind for the night. Next morning we wake up at 6:00 to have breakfast... wait 2 hours for the sun to come up so we can get the skiff safely to shore and start the climb to the deer. We glass up a 4xfork right away and I honestly wanted to hunt for something a bit larger. up the hill we go through the neck deep crap and alders. After a couple hours and over the top we come to an awesome valley the smells like rutting deer. Set up to glass and sure enough bucks chasing does all around. I decide to stalk a buck bedded with a doe I get about 300 yards and they start running. Surely I didn't spook them.... so I start looking for bear (something I did often) I look back to the deer and a pretty big buck chased off the one I was stalking. Bino's off the tripod soI can use it for a rest, and just as the buck starts to mount the doe. Well... I guess I could have let him pass on his genes. (a few pics of him)

My first Sitka Blacktail

5x51.jpg

5x52.jpg

5x53.jpg

5x54.jpg

When I saw the back forks I couldn't help it, he went down in a spot that we could see so I took the time for multiple pictures. Next is a picture of the valley he was in. Once again how could this get any better??? I thought the flight was worth being there.

5x5Valley.jpg

Next morning wehead back to the valley of death and my friend Rick kills his first animal (ever).

RickandMe.jpg

So the easy going (stupid) people from NM that we are, take pictures soak up the moment, bone out another deer and the guy on bear watch says "what the F*** is that??"

1stBear.jpg

Yep that little bump that looks like it's in another state is a bear running back and forth trying to get us away from his deer. Picture is a bit crappy, but I wasn't waiting for a Kodiak moment. The deer is boned out so we grab the meat, our gear and give him space. We go about 300 yards stop to pack things a bit better and look back (often). Here comes another bear from below.

Bear.jpg

A few pictures and we are back to the boat (it was really a bit more exciting than that).

That night it gets real windy so we head to Sulua Bay to hide the boat in some cover. Next morning it's too windy to get to the beach so we stay on the boat to take care of deer, and fish. After a couple hours of catching small flounder and Irish lords, I finaly connect with a Halibut.

Halibut.jpg

Not the biggests Halibut in the Pacific but a whole lot bigger than the walleye we catch here in NM.

Next day morning back to the beach, this buck was chasing a doe until he saw our heads skylined glassing him.

Skyline.jpg

He ran right at us and Joe decided that he was asking for a boat ride that ends in a freezer.

MeandJoe.jpg

Time for me to go to bed, more tomorrow.

--Bill

Nice Buck:

I am going to have to head down that way some day and hunt Black Tails. How large is too large in your rifle selection? How long are you shooting and how much meat when you are all boned out?

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
Kotzebue, Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com

Great pictures! Sounds like a good trip. That is a really nice Sitka you got. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

That is a stud of a buck. I really really miss that place. What outfit did you go with and for how many days?

Northwest,
Our group used a couple .270s, a couple 7mm mags, and a .300 short mag. Shots ranged from 50 to 300 yards. We got about 25 lbs of cleaned and wrapped meat per deer not including the neck and ribs.

IB,
we used Alaska Coastal Marine as our transporter, the hunt was Saturday to Saturday (weather permitting), we were on the boat for an extra day due to wind conditions in Kodiak grounding planes.

--Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back