Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Western Wyoming Taxidermists

Who do you guys recommend in SW Wyoming? The thread about transporting the meat and getting the hide caped out and to a taxidermist as soon as possible has me thinking that perhaps it would be best to have that work done in Wyoming as opposed to Washington. Does anyone have any recommendations for quality taxidermists in Western Wyoming?

Last edited:
How good are you with a knife? It takes slightly more skill than hitting a piece of toast with a butter knife to cape an animal, not that tough.

If you can at least cape it and keep it cold, you should be fine, better yet is to freeze the cape. Its also not that tough to turn and salt a deer/pronghorn cape either.

Cant help you on the taxidermists over there, but about any of them will be able to prep a cape for you.

I 2nd Buzz's thought on capping it yourself. It is not as difficult as you may think. A bit more than buttering bread but nothing a person cant handle himself. But if you decide not to I would suggest Josh hunt from Deer Creek Wildlife Studio in Morgan UT. About 45 minutes into UT from the Wyoming line. He does great work with reasonable turn around time.

From a taxidermist's point of view, I would discourage that you cape your own trophy unless you can get a crash course on how to do it. When it's done incorrectly, it can effect the quality of the finished mount. While it's true that it isn't difficult, areas around the horns or antlers, eyelids, nose and mouth can be tricky if you haven't done one or shown how it's done.

Also, you don't want to tick off your taxidermist when he has to fix skinning cuts around those delicate facial areas.

Last edited:
Agree with you 100% Jeff! Two of the three nice bucks that we've taken the last few years were just partially caped up the back to near the ear area and skinned down enough to cut the head off with the cape attached so the taxidermist could do the head himself. The B&C one my buddy got last year was carried out whole on his back after we gutted it and we had him to the taxi in Cody within 4 hours or so.

Attachments

• Wyoming 2014 100.jpg
    Wyoming 2014 100.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Whether it be butchering or caping, it amazes me how few hunters know how to use a knife...always has.

Knowing how to use a knife saves a ton of work.

I don't have a problem with carrying out the head intact (caped to the back of the head, then sawed off), my thing is the rules on transporting critters from CWD areas.

If we get deer from our area in NW Wyoming this year, legally we will have to fully cape it out and only bring home the meat/cape/skull plate and antlers (no brain matter). As mentioned above, the eyelids and lips/nose are what make me nervous..

You said SW Wyoming in your original post but now have said NW Wyoming??? hahaha. I live in Southwest Wyoming and can give you a list of guys I trust.....but NW Wyoming is a whole nother thing entirely.

You said SW Wyoming in your original post but now have said NW Wyoming??? hahaha. I live in Southwest Wyoming and can give you a list of guys I trust.....but NW Wyoming is a whole nother thing entirely.

Guess it's an easy mistake typing an S instead of an N or vice versa. Almost like seeing red instead of swift, except that gets you a ticket!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back