PEAX Equipment

Western hunting expo

Brandon0891

I have always wanted to go to the western hunting expo. Is it worth it to fly out to it from Ohio? I want to start planing a DIY backcountry hunt and hoped there would be good seminars and gear for sale at the expo. I'm thinking I would fly out on Wednesday and then take the red eye back on Saturday night.

The Expo has a pretty sour flavor to many on this site, due to the fact that it is a large part of the funding mechanism of a group that has tried to mess with MT/ID wolf delisting, tried to screw up sage grouse conservation and keep these birds off the ESA, planted a schill as the AK G&F Director who toppled the agency in less than a year before indicted on game violations, just a name a few.

I know you asked this with all sincerity. I just wanted to give you the heads up that the Expo sponsoring group, Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, is a four letter word for most hunters outside the state of Utah. Probably more than you wanted to know, but wanted to give the quick version before someone made a negative comment without context for why they don't like the Expo.

Seminars there were quite marginal, gear for sale was heavily slanted toward baby strollers, condo time shares, and cotton candy last time I was invited to attend. Maybe it has changed since then.

If you do go, wear high-end jeans with bling on the pockets and a camouflage muscle shirt in two-sizes-too-small. Then people will know you're a serious hunter.

All kidding aside, the Expo has major issues. Enough that I hosted a meeting in my office between myself, a lawyer that was involved in the Expo process for an opposing organization, and multiple elected officials, in an attempt to shine a light on the way the contract was awarded. SFW has such a stranglehold on the Legislature that the elected officials weren't even able to get a Legislative Audit through committee though they tried as promised to us in the meeting.

I've chosen to apply for the Expo tags but not attend the Expo. I know some people don't apply for the tags in protest, and I respect that opinion, but I feel they're public property and I won't cut off my nose to spite my face. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Wow I had no clue about that! Thank you very much for the reply. I guess that means I can bank the grand I was planning on spending on the trip. Are there other big events that would be good to go to for a flat lander? I have gone on one guided elk hunt with my dad who is 64. I want to go archery elk in the next year or two, but I want to go the DIY route.

I've also thought about heading out for the BHA rendezvous.

The Expo is a disaster. If you look at attendance, is almost all locals that day trip to the event. Sure, there are non-residents at the Expo which you can approximate by looking at the sheep tag entries that is restricted to only non-residents. Now, consider that there are Idaho kids attending BYU and other local schools plus the out-of-state booth staff and this is not a magnet that puts butts in the eateries and hotel rooms. In return for nominal expenditures then 100s of tags were pilfered from the draw, mostly from the non-resident pool of tags.

The State of Utah is a bit different than your local political environment. The Church is very central to many of the small things that decide who is elected, appointed to commissions, works for the local news, etc. This allows for wink wink nod nod arrangements that do not result in vigorous debate when the tags were being taken and the resulting revenues of the Expo were being allocated. Basically, your non-resident tags provided a slush fund that allowed a non-governmental organization to do things the State could not such as wine and dine while flying back and forth around the USA and funding pet projects in and out of Utah.

Is a cancer that needs killed. Attempts were made to backroom into AZ, AK and even WY and MT to some extent. Another wildlife organization stepped up as the initial 5 year contract for the Expo was expiring and was proposing bringing in 1000s or real non-residents for a national convention and turning back all the money raised to be used for wildlife rather than have it continue into the shadows of a slush fund. And, no surprise, the special relationships in Utah chose not to do business with the "outsider" organization. Boggles the mind unless you understand how Utah operates. Makes perfect sense the game was rigged to keep out anyone really trying to help wildlife. That slush fund needs fed and it will be. Cross your fingers the slush fund does not screw up your state or issues out West like wolf control.

Not sure if you believe in the afterlife but I do and am hoping there is a turd waiting to be smoked by those cronies as they enter Hell.

I have always wanted to go to the western hunting expo. Is it worth it to fly out to it from Ohio? I want to start planing a DIY backcountry hunt and hoped there would be good seminars and gear for sale at the expo. I'm thinking I would fly out on Wednesday and then take the red eye back on Saturday night.

Save that money and use it on gear. Ask questions on this site about specific things as they relate to a DIY backcountry hunt. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site if the right questions are asked and you're not asking about honey holes. Use the search function as well. Many questions you have probably have been discussed already. Look at Randy's video clips and past episodes. He imparts a lot of wisdom on those about basics of hunting, scouting and the like. Good luck.

RMEF is down in Nashville much closer to OH. I truly wish Utah had given RMEF opportunity to takeover the tag program but it didn't happen.

The beauty of HuntTalk is many good people on this site are willing to help with DIY planning so just reach out.

The money you save on not traveling to the Expo could be used for applications and/or tags.

+1 on Randy's video and blog. My wife is jealous at my Randy man crush.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I had no clue about that! Thank you very much for the reply. I guess that means I can bank the grand I was planning on spending on the trip. Are there other big events that would be good to go to for a flat lander? I have gone on one guided elk hunt with my dad who is 64. I want to go archery elk in the next year or two, but I want to go the DIY route.

I've also thought about heading out for the BHA rendezvous.

The BHA Rendezvous is everything the Expo is not.

The Expo has a pretty sour flavor to many on this site, due to the fact that it is a large part of the funding mechanism of a group that has tried to mess with MT/ID wolf delisting, tried to screw up sage grouse conservation and keep these birds off the ESA, planted a schill as the AK G&F Director who toppled the agency in less than a year before indicted on game violations, just a name a few.

I know you asked this with all sincerity. I just wanted to give you the heads up that the Expo sponsoring group, Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, is a four letter word for most hunters outside the state of Utah. Probably more than you wanted to know, but wanted to give the quick version before someone made a negative comment without context for why they don't like the Expo.

Seminars there were quite marginal, gear for sale was heavily slanted toward baby strollers, condo time shares, and cotton candy last time I was invited to attend. Maybe it has changed since then.

I now live in Utah and SFW is a 4 letter word for me too...and I don't even use 4 letter words.

If you really want to attend one of those shows I would go to an ISE, international sportsman exhibition, or the Dallas Safari Club Expo in early Jan. They are both very outfitter attended. We have gotten some good deals on equipment at them and hunts can be discounted. Many outfitters will be there or representatives will be. I believe they have on back east also, ISE.

Because I am local to SLC i attend the Expo and the ISE every year. I go to see new stuff, the mounts, and just burn a day enjoying hunt related stuff. I don't do the tags or shows there. I do renew my RMEF membership at the ISE. It is not worth the trip from out of state to attend.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back