Caribou Gear Tarp

Welfare tobacco ranching?

dgibson

From my employer's handy-dandy website: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>OWENSBORO- Bills have been introduced in both the U.S. House and Senate to pay tobacco farmers to get out of the business. For years the government has used a quota system, which allows farmers to grow price supported tobacco. Now both farmers and legislators say even that's not working because other countries can grow the burley cheaper.

Owensboro tobacco farmer Rod Kuegel says he's in full support of the tobacco buyout because he says the market is saturated with foreign tobacco. Kuegel says, "We were priced out of the market and it's been very difficult."

The proposed tobacco buyout bills in both the House and Senate will pay farmers to give up their tobacco quota, or the amount they're allowed to grow. Kuegel says the House Bill will actually help him recoup some losses because farmers have experienced a reduction in how much tobacco they can grow. For example, Kuegel says if he was allowed to grow 10 thousand pounds of tobacco base in 1998, that was reduced to 4000 pounds in 2002 That's a sixty percent decrease. Kuegel says, "He's got 2 and a half times the investment in that 4000 pounds than he had with 10,000, so that investment has been lost."

Kuegel says that, most importantly, either bill or a combination of both will help him take a crucial step. Without tobacco, Kuegel says the key is diversity, and he's already taking that path. This year Kuegel planted several acres in peppers. "We'll raise what we can to make a profit on it. If we can find something else to replace tobacco or make more money we will. We're not married to the tobacco. We're married to a way of life and farming. That's what we're trying to do is make it sustain."

Kuegel says he'll know if his tobacco will be bought out in September after Legislators get back from the August recess. With either the Senate or the House buyout plans, tobacco manufacturers would have to pay for the buyout. Legislators say this could hike up cigarette prices.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>MY OPINION: Do other businesses get "bought out" if they fail due to competition? Why do these guys get a break? I don't recall Ithaca's glass business getting bought out by the gubmint when it went sour.
wink.gif
And what's this about making the tobacco companies pay for it? Why is it THEIR fault that they can buy the tobacco cheaper elsewhere? Or is it just because the tobacco companies are an industry pariah these days and it's easy to fleece them a little more? Bah!

THE fed`s have helped Big Corporation`s like chrysler, and the airlines with Bilion dollar bailout`s . but the dickhead lawyer`s have screwed the tobbaco industries BIGTIME!

cjcj,if you get to thinking just about all the major industries and all kinds of people out there will qualify as "welfare businesses" by these guys' definitions. Airlines, car makers, farmers, ranchers,bee keepers, milk and butter producers, steel mills, lumber, mining, scientists, transportation, education[ students getting grants and scholarships]the elderly and your favorite..... ILLEGAL ALIENS.

You're right about that, Ol Bob! The answer to my first question ("Do other businesses get "bought out" if they fail due to competition?") just might be yes!
wink.gif

DG you're right our government has bought out and "gone into business" also in lots of areas they have "no business" being in also. Bob

The government did not "stick it to big tobacco", instead, they stuck it to Joe 2-Packaday. The tobacco companies are owned by shareholders, and the shareholders expect a "reasonable rate of return", so in order to do that, they passed on the cost of the settlement to the buyers of their product, the smokers. Joe 2-Packaday now is paying a huge amount for his smokes, that he is addicted to, and the government is claiming they won. All this settlement was just another Tax, and people liked it, as it only got the smokers.
biggrin.gif

As for the buy-out of the tabacky farmers, that would be stupid. They would give failing farmers cash, who would then switch crops to something else, causing a crash in that commodity, which would result in more failing farmers, needing bailing out. .

Sometimes you are better off letting a few fail today, than a whole bunch fail tomorrow.

You are right gunner the 2 pack a day people are the ones who pay for the whole shebang! lawsuit`s etc. i don`t smoke but i think the smoker`s really got the shaft! next tax 10 cent`s tax on bullet`s to pay for gunshot, gangbanger`s at trauma center`s. this has already been proposed in califonia.

When the smokers get tired of "getting the shaft" maybe they'll quit. Never mind that they "shaft" everyone that pays for health insurance.

That would be great if they quit, everyones insurance costs would go down because we wouldnt have to pay for some dumbbell clinging to life in a hospital for months with his last lung full of cancer and tar.
eek.gif

You smoke, you deserve to pay the fiddler...in taxes, insurance, and with your health/life.

Buzz, I smoke BUT I wish I didnt, but your rationale doesn't "jive"> Don't drive, cars have accidents, causes your insurance to go up! Don't get out in the sun, skin cancer, causes your insurance to go up! Don't drink, causes liver problems, causes your insurance to go up! Don't eat, certain foods cause cancer, causes your insurance to go up! Don't work, back problems, causes your insurance to go up!! HELL!! Just don't LIVE and you won't have to worry bout insurance and taxes, etc!!

Buzzboy you are a FOOL, the money in taxes that smoker`s and big tabacco have piad are in the BILLIONS, THe illegall`s cost more in healthcare than ALL of the smoker`s , and most smoker`s have their own insurance, and pay more for it! that`s why they have a higher premium, you should have never shown your picture [deer pic`s] you are just a young wet behind the ears BOY with very little REAL life `s education.

I'm the "young" foolish one...

I'll remember that while some smart old smoker is busy hacking up his last lung in a hospital somewhere while feeling sorry for his/her self.

The poor smokers, hell cj, if you feel that sorry for them, start up a campaign asking for donations to help them afford the tobacco taxes that they so unfairly have to pay.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Christ man, you act like they're owed something because they choose to destroy their health...they should have to pay double for their insurance...and if I owned an insurance agency I wouldnt cover them at all.

I'd also double the tax on tobacco every year if I had my way.

Buzz, your brillance amazes me sometimes. You seem to have "THE" answer for everything. I have lived about twice as long as you and have had about twice the experiences but have yet to attain this brilliance and knowledge you seem to think you have. Ho hum, time for this dumb ol fart's nap. Ol Bob

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-01-2003 13:01: Message edited by: BbarC ]</font>

Your brilliance amazes me too Bob...twice as smart, twice as much experience,twice as old... yet destroying your lungs and health...real bright.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Hopefully you wake up from that nap.
wink.gif

Sorry to be so graphic Bob, I know smokers never believe that their health will suffer...its a denial thing until the tumor shows up in the lungs...

Realize it's an addiction, but 45 year addictions dont break easy. Spent hundreds trying to break it. Those that have not experienced it cannot understand!In my opinion other drugs can't be more difficult to break.

I'd enjoy life as much as I could if I were you Bob...that many years of abuse is sure to catch you soon. Probably a stroke, heart attack, or lung cancer will be the culprit. Hopefully it will be quick and painless for you...but in my limited and inexperienced experience, usually its a slow brutal death...your family will really appreciate being put through it...all because of smokes.

I'm sure its not easy to quit, but I still dont feel sorry for you, or the fact that you have to pay a sin tax for your smokes.

On the other hand, my Dad hasnt smoked for close to 20 years. We were fishing one labor day and I told him he better quit or he'd never be able to keep up with me hunting elk during bow season. He said, "you're right, I just quit." Hasnt had a smoke since then, and never will. My Dads as good as his word and he made a promise. I probably saved him from a most undesirable and unpleasant death...and I'll probably get to hunt with him for many more years.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-01-2003 13:46: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

Yes, it is a really tough addiction to break. It took me years, and I still enjoy a smoke - but it's like about one a month when I'm out shooting or camping and having a beer by the fire. BUT - I gained a whole lot of weight, and I refuse to let that weight gain be for nothing and start smoking again!

Keep trying to quit - the more times you try, the chance of succeeding goes up dramatically. My grandmother died of heart disease and cancer. She lived about two years as just skin and bones and not knowing anyone.

Part of the difficulty in quitting is the fact that there is no immediate threat - it's all going to happen in the future, so it's easy to keep your head in the sand.

Buzz no i don`t feel sorry for smokers, and Yes we all agree it`s unhealthy, but i just wish you could see the BIGGER picture here, it`s not as much about smoking as it is about FREEDOM of choice etc. smoking is legal , so is drinking , Buzz do you drink? do you ever have a beer, maybee a 3 dollar a bottle tax on beer would stop people from drinking,it`s the same thing as smoking the morality police want to take away our freedom`s, your right to hunt smoke, drink you have to have been around a while to see how many individual right`s we as a nation have lost, so that is why i will support smoker`s right`s, and i don`t believe they should be taxed into submission.

CJ,

This gets to be a slippery slope when you start arguing freedoms. Why have the right to smoke tobbacco and nicotine, but not pot or snort coke? Why make prostitituion illegal? Why regulate gambling....? In this country, we have limits on all sorts of activities, and for the most part, we all agree that the majority thinks it is bad, we pass laws, and away goes the activity.

If you think freedom of Choice is good for smokers, who kill themselves, why not for Crack-heads and Pot-heads?

I think you just end up drawing the line, somewhere, and to me, it is no more of a threat to freedom of choice to ban smoking as it is to ban Polygamy or Slavery. Some ideas are just bad, and they can go away, without a major impact to our "freedom".

Every flippin' state in the Union has its own Liquour laws, and all of them are set up as to what the "majority" want. In Idaho, we have to buy our Liquour (hard stuff) from the State, and pay taxes right there. We don't complain, as the law is OURS, written by our representatives. No threat to freedom, just our way of taxing/controlling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back