Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

weiser river archery elk plan

smitty661

so my buddy and i are putting together a plan for hunting the weiser river zone in idaho this upcoming september. Ive done a few backpack hunts before but this will be my first for elk. So i am planning on hunting the east side of 32A along the unit border on top of the west mountains because this area looks to have less roads than the rest of the area. I have a few other spots picked out as well but im thinking this will be my primary starting point. Im hoping the pressure from the roads with push the elk up and east towards that area. The area appears to have food, water and plenty of cover with large meadows. The elevation will be around 8k and i have experience at that altitude. Were hoping to get our first encounters with some vocal elk but i understand with the pressure in this unit they may not be as vocal. We will be there for a week in mid september (somewhere between the 8th and 16th). Im not asking for anybodys hard earned spots as i know from experience that those spots are earned and i respect that. I was hoping somebody can tell me if im headed in the right direction or if i should be looking for different elevation or habitat during that time frame. I know that this unit has alot of cow tags and my main concern is this. If there is an issue with elk causing problems on farmland, are all of the elk staying at lower elevations and feeding on the farmland? Do most of the elk stay down on the farmland and as the rut kicks in the bulls from the higher areas head down to where most of the cows are to rut?

Thanks for your time,
Smitty

No one is bitting on the Weiser River questions. Again, I haven't hunted it for elk but my brother-in-law has and we've talked all about it. I've driven through the area. I'd be pretty nervous that the bulls are going to be pulled down to the ag ground because of where the cows are and avoiding pressure. This past year, I drove past ag land in the Pioneer and Salmon zones and saw mature bulls with cows right around the ag in September. My brother-in-law had the experience of hunting bulls that were hitting ag land in the Weiser Zone (different unit) during September. There's gotta be other bulls and cows hanging out up high but that's a concern. I think there's a lot of private in 32A from what I've heard so that could easily be an elk haven.

I'd have some other spots picked out that are a ways from the private. 22 seems to have good elk numbers, the best in the zone from what I understand--I'd be looking other there as well.

Hey Smitty, You can also call a game biologist for that region. I'm sure they can answer all or most of your Q's. I have always had great conversations when trying to learn about a new area in ID. Good Luck!

Elk are plentiful in 32A, stay up in the higher elevations, and cooler north facing drainage's and you will find them no problem. Just don't worry about buying a deer tag in that unit. Most folks don't get too far from the road or their hunting camp areas from what I've seen up there. So getting away from the roads like your talking will definitely improve your odds as well.

Thanks guys. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Just curious why I shouldn’t buy a deer tag? Are deer numbers low in this unit? My plan is to stay high on the east side but I have a couple spots picked out now in lower elevations and another in 22 if we don’t see much after a few days. I was planning on getting a general deer tag too because I will be back in October to take my nephew to get his first deer and if I saw something impressive during archery season I could have the option of filling that tag then. Thanks

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back