Weekend bobcat

npaden

Real quick trip down to our hunting land on Friday night and Saturday morning. Had a 2 1/2 year old 9 point that hung around for a while but I'm hoping he'll be around next year so I passed on him. Saturday morning all we saw was this bobcat. After watching him miss on a stalk of his own I asked my son if I should shoot him or not and he answered with a resounding "shoot him dad!", so I did.

eli_nathan_bobcat.jpg

Not the biggest cat in the world, but my son was pretty excited. It was actually the first animal that I've shot with him actually there when I shot it.

eli_bobcat.jpg

Pretty good spots, I'm sending it off to get tanned for a wall hanger.

nathan_bobcat.jpg

You can actually see our hunting blind on the hill in this picture. One of the plywood windows has blown off in a storm, I'm going to need to put in real windows if I want my son to keep going with me, the wind really howls through the blind up there on that hill.

eli_nathan_bobcat2.jpg

Pretty fun weekend. Hoping that I can hook up with this buck that I've been getting on camera. One nice thing about Texas is that we have an even longer deer season than Montana.

droptine1.jpg

droptine2.jpg

For all the baiting and feeding and sitting in a fancy blind I still have yet to kill a decent whitetail on my land here in Texas. Not quite like shooting fish in a barrel.

Hope everyone else had as good of a weekend as I did.

Nathan

Heck yeah nice cat! I want one of those. I saw one over in the moose unit, and saw a lot of tracks. I'm hoping I can call one in while calling for wolves. Congrats!

Very cool on the cat. What are you doing with it?

I skinned it out on my own and am sending it off to USA Foxx to get it garment tanned. Kept the pads and claws on, turned the ears and started fleshing it but ended up slicing through around the armpit so I decided it was worth the $20 for them to flesh it for me. Only $28 to tan it so less than $50 not counting shipping.

Going to hang it on the wall next to the fireplace.

Great work.

Did you ever finish your Wyoming Elk hunt story? I was enjoying it, but never saw the ending...Just making sure I didn't miss it.

Thanks guys. Bobcats are pretty much open season here anytime. I personally don't like to shoot them unless the fur is decent and I figured it was getting pretty close on this one. My son really thought it was cool so it was worth it just from that perspective. Shipping the pelt out this afternoon.

Sorry for not getting my Wyoming elk hunt updated. I will do my best to get it done this week! It's such a novel and I want to do it justice so I've been having a hard time getting back to it but I promise I'll get it done this week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back