MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

We just hooked another new hunter

oleefish2

PART951287260928085.jpg

Well ladies and gentlemen make room for another hunter. I was honored by being asked to take a young man and his dad (a non-hunter) on their first hunt for deer. We have been communicating about this trip for almost a year. The family did not own a gun of any kind and I talked them into buying an air rifle to practice with and so he could learn some good safety skills. So why did I not take him out in person to practice, cause they live 280 miles away. Well he practiced, dad went to hunter safety classes with him, they barrowed a rifle and we set a date and time. They arrived late the night of the 14th and I got them up at 5:00am to head up on the mountain. We were joining a friend who had been elk hunting all week and should have a good idea were the deer should be. We met them and headed to a spot as the sun was just about to peak over the divide. We also had an 87 year old hunter whom had an elk tag. Humm does praying help, I think so because we had about 80+ elk run out in front of us and my friend, dad, grandson and me all got elk, so deer hunting was delayed while we cleaned, dragged and took care of our bounty. That evening we were able to see several deer but he could not get a shot off. Back to the original plan, so we were in position at first light the next morning. We have several young bucks to look over and I help him decide on one we can put a stock on. We creep; crawl and set-up were we can get a good clear shot at about 100 yards. After a few minutes he gets in range, well I am more nerves than he is and finally he lets it fly and guess what total miss. He just sit there not reloading or anything else. I finally get him to reload and the deer is looking around wonder were that noise came from. Well his second shot was true and he had a smile on his face. It was great he did not hesitate about getting his hands bloody and dad helped him drag it to the jeep. I killed my 37 elk the day before and it was a spike but the true joy of 2010 is hearing him plan for 2011.

Great story Olee. Congrats to the new hunter and a big thanks to you for getting him in the field. Pretty sure you have planted the seed that when fertilized will yield great fruits for the future of hunting.

Love seeing the youth getting involved, but I would like to say thanks for you taking and leading the youth of this great country down the path of our fore fathers. Kids shouldn't think meat comes from stores and milk comes from a carton. Thanks for being a mentor!

Thank you all but being self centered in that I believe I get back more than I give.. I do not have the desire to hunt myself like I use to have and these chances to share the excitement and desire makes my blood boil and common sense go to 0. I chased my elk through about 4 miles of canyons, draws and deep brush; let’s just say my 59 year old legs are saying fool. I love this kind of pain YES

Very cool Olee!
Good to hear you're having a successful season and things are well.

I just wish my wife would win the lottery then I could do youth hunts all fall... I know it’s great for the first time hunter to kill a big animal but I believe that a doe or small buck tends to get them excited and build a desire for the next year adventure and the dreams of a giant. I helped a young man one time that got a 370+ class bull 20 minutes into the first day. He said later on that it kind of spoiled it for him because it was just too easy. Just a thought

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back