Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Water bladders

peterk1234

Those of you using water bladders in your packs, no condensation issues, clothes getting wet, etc? I just sewed up one to test out.
20240301_124035.jpg

I had a problematic camelbak bladder. 50/50 on whether or not I'd get it sealed properly. There are multiple different styles and I think I just struggled with the one I had.

Never had an issue with platypus.

I took the bait from Stone Glacier (twice) and purchased the Hydrapack water bladder. Absolute junk! Went through two of them. Where you're drinking hose snaps in, the fitting came loose and leaked water like a sieve! Switched to the Platypus bladders and love them! Since then and Oddly enough, Stone Glacier doesn't have any Hydrapaks on their website and only sell Platypus bladders.

Thanks all! Good to here.

@Stone_Ice_1 , I have been using bladders for mountain biking for decades. When it's really cold I blow into the tube, forcing all the water out of it. Stops the freezing problem. Also works if you have a mouthpiece that tends to dribble. Just blow air into it.

i'm not allowed to use those on hunts anymore because i cannot drink properly from the hose. i always end up inhaling the water and coughing and choking. My hunting partner forbids it now.
I did have a couple camelbak's that leaked. one had a bad seal on the fitting to the hose and the second one had a bad edge seal. They can condensate if you fill it with cold water in a hot pack, but its pretty minimal.

I use one for both backpack hunts and day hunts. The biggest issue I run into is on cold days the hose and mouthpiece will freeze. Mine is insulated and that helps but it still freezes. Never had any issues with the actual bladder.
I moved to Nalgene bottles due to frozen hoses and a few other issues

I use the badlands brand one and it’s kickass! I’ve had two different sizes— essential in the warmer months.

Hose freezes in winter, i trade out for a nalgene in the wintertime, but feel they don’t hold enough water for me so i have to keep that in mind and plan accordingly

I use the badlands brand one and it’s kickass! I’ve had two different sizes— essential in the warmer months.

Hose freezes in winter, i trade out for a nalgene in the wintertime, but feel they don’t hold enough water for me so i have to keep that in mind and plan accordingly

I always carry both now. I typically drink from the hose when I'm hiking and the nalgene when I'm glassing. Nalgene has to come along in case I want to add something to my water, as well as the freezing backup.

I always carry both now. I typically drink from the hose when I'm hiking and the nalgene when I'm glassing. Nalgene has to come along in case I want to add something to my water, as well as the freezing backup.
Pretty much what I do as well. I usually have a 2-3L bladder and a 16oz nalgene at whatever level of fill is appropriate. I use the pint nalgene for backup and hot drinks. There are only three things that I can think of that I carry 2x of: something to hold water, headlamp, and tiny knife. Everything else can pretty much be dealt with.

The only true failure I've had was a basic Platypus bladder...it was very well used and developed a crack, my fault for not checking reguarly.

Had a lot of problems with camel backs freezing up so I use the Nalgene and a bulk water 4L carrier from hydrapak.

I reduce the amount of water in the bulk carrier depending on time of year and type of hunting

Love mine it’s awesome to be able to throw it in the dishwasher and get it clean after season
I never clean mine. I have one that has to be ten years old. I throw it in the freezer after using it. It lives there until next time it's needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back