Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Washington - Olympic Peninsula

Jwill

So my wife and I just got a "save the date" for a friend's wedding taking place 9/1 on the Olympic Peninsula... Since I've never been out there I started looking for other things to do so we can turn this into a little vacation rather than just a trip out for the wedding. Naturally trout fishing and elk hunting were the first things that came to mind. Seems there is a general archery season that opens right around that time in about a half a dozen units in the area, how convenient... :D

Anyhow, I know a hunt for Roosevelts is a tough endeavor to start with, but there's plenty time to research and train. I've looked at a few maps and have a call in to the bio, but have any of you guys hunted this area? Thoughts?

If this works out I'll skip out on CO elk or WY antelope this season and just do points all around. Travel is such a huge expense for us east coasters hunting elk, it would be nice for this one not to hit the hunting budget. :) If the elk hunting doesn't work out I'm sure the fishing will be good and maybe I'll work in some scouting for a future trip.

I have a friend that lived in Port Angeles and says he scored on an elk 12 years in a row there. I'll see if I can get some info from him.

I will be in Sekiu around that time fishing for pinks and cohos in the salt. Looks like it's going to be a fun time!

Don't waste your time with the trout fishing, look for the salmon. Probably should either try to find a local to hook up with or hire a guide. The fish should be in really close by then.

Elk hunting is tough on the oly pen. Roosies arent as vocal and the way they keep setting the season back its hard to hit it in the rut. Having said that if you do your home work and talk to the bio im sure you could get into some elk. Find locked gates on timber company land and walk until you cant walk any more. Early september is an awesome time of year to be in western wa and im sure ull have a great time.

20 years ago there were a lot more deer and elk but the decrease in logging on the Peninsula has substantially reduced the amount of forage. Add that to the predation from bears and cats and poachers and you come to my recommendation to go salmon fishing instead. Lots of great guides and still great fishing for silvers in Sept. (check out piscatorialpursuits.com) Be advised that most of the private timber companies on the peninsula are charging for access now and have limited permits. That leaves the National Forest land which is where the logging has been severely curtailed and thus fewer animals and opportunity to spot them in that super steep and thick country. Best of luck and enjoy the Peninsula which is wonderful in September!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back