WARNING: Student Load Forgiveness is Very Unlikely to Pay for Your Next Elk Tag

I see what your saying for sure, and I agree with you. But I have a hard time with any sympathy for the Art History Major with 6 figures of debt. At some point personal responsibly has to come into the equation.
Remember, bankruptcy is not charity for the borrower- it is an investment in a vibrant risk taking economy and fully engaged citizenry (just read a bit about debtor prisons back in the day). Not saying a direct one for one, but we have bigger economic issues at hand than the moral obligation to pay back a debt from you teen years.

People sometimes seem to forget where the loan money came from, and who was supposed to make money with it. When I buy an I-bond I expect to make a return on my money. When my tax money (government loan in a simple way to look at it) is loaned to someone I also expect to make a return on it. No one forces anyone to go to a bloated costly university. My son is taking 6 years to get his 4 year degree because he is working between semesters to have as little debt as possible. He has heartburn sitting in class with people who would get relief. It is a stupid idea and I am glad it is so far shot down. I would be open to fixing the real problem going forward.

There are limits on Federal government loans and the rates are not onerous. Your attachment of this to ACA is a bit misleading. I think it's probably the private sector loans you have issue with. Rolling it into SS give SS a higher returning asset than the treasuries it can invest in now and it gives the country a more skilled workforce. You are correct though in that it doesn't fix the problems with schools not meeting demand and instead just raising prices. There needs to be an accountability mechanism in this for schools. It would put most of the for-profit schools out of business.
You and @wllm have to align your spreadsheets - he is telling me we have few “assets” here to actually worry about and you are saying they are a good asset to fund SS.

Lets just look at the real problem the schools. I have a daughter in her last year of law school at a top law school. Tuition is 86K year. - 22K for grades so 64K a year.

During covid she could not attend class. So the school is closed, professors are teaching from home. The school for one year had reduced costs. But they still charged the same amount. The school has a hundred million dollar endowment. They refused to dip into it to during this time. They could have easily reduced tuition by 10 or 20% instead it actually went up.

We will pay every penny back and not looking for it to be dissolved, but the cost is getting ridiculous for these kids. the above cost is for tuition only. No room and board. I am paying just over $3k a month on rent and utilities, food on top of that.

Which part is the real problem? I assume your daughter could have chosen a law school that was cheaper but she found additional value in this particular school? Maybe i'm just being simple but it seems hard to see a school having a $100 mil endowment if they didn't have alumn that highly valued the university?

Why??? This kinda post is FB crap! A loan is a loan not a gift. If you are not competent enough to understand the difference between the two then you are not competent enough to go to college. I am so tired of Government overreach AKA doing or getting involved with what it wasn't designed for! Let's just set on our a$$ and post crap to argue about vs doing something about it.
So looks like tomorrow we can put in for tags in CO and the NM deadline is quickly approaching! I for one need to figure out what I am doing!

Last edited:
You and @wllm have to align your spreadsheets - he is telling me we have few “assets” here to actually worry about and you are saying they are a good asset to fund SS.
I’m not fighting an @wllm spreadsheet. That’s a losers game. Just saying tying student loan assets to SS makes it hard for politicians to mess with programs. A POTUS could never cancel loans, or at least every Us citizen would have standing.

To be clear I think a portion of student loans are liabilities not assets, not the entire portfolio.

I do think New REPAYE entirely undermines the portfolio, I also think student loans on the whole are wildly "over-valued" as an asset.

Private loans are far worse with regard to terms and rates.

I'm not sure how I feel about @SAJ-99 strategy.

I do think the fed needs to hard cap loans... not unlike Medicare on the price of procedures. I do think the defaulted loans need to be written off/forgiven whatever.

I’m not fighting an @wllm spreadsheet. That’s a losers game. Just saying tying student loan assets to SS makes it hard for politicians to mess with programs. A POTUS could never cancel loans, or at least every Us citizen would have standing.
I hear you. But mixing Obamacare and SL was a mistake and mixing SL with other unrelated programs seems like a mess in waiting. Plus you would have to find funds to replace the stream to Obamacare if SS was to get income.

To be clear I think a portion of student loans are liabilities not assets, not the entire portfolio.

I do think New REPAYE entirely undermines the portfolio, I also think student loans on the whole are wildly "over-valued" as an asset.

Private loans are far worse with regard to terms and rates.

I'm not sure how I feel about @SAJ-99 strategy.

I do think the fed needs to hard cap loans... not unlike Medicare on the price of procedures. I do think the defaulted loans need to be written off/forgiven whatever.

I think loans for college should be gone and Pell grants properly funded for lower and middle class families. And those Pell grants should be paid out like Medicare - where they pay 60 cents on the dollar and the college just has to eat it. Loans would only be for grad/professional school and school must underwrite non-payment not gov. Then and only then will colleges start focusing on cost effective education of useful topics.

While I think that people should pay back what they owe, I would be okay with total forgiveness if it came with some form of permanent fix to the problem. But as it currently stands, government is still in the student loan business, and still issuing loans for worthless degrees to people that will never be able to pay them back.
Until that’s addressed forgiving $10k is pretty worthless.

Which part is the real problem? I assume your daughter could have chosen a law school that was cheaper but she found additional value in this particular school? Maybe i'm just being simple but it seems hard to see a school having a $100 mil endowment if they didn't have alumn that highly valued the university?
Sure there are cheaper law schools. Depends on the field you are going into.Not all lawyers make lots of money. My daughter will be a child dependency lawyer, representing children of abuse and neglect. Most of time its paid by the state because the family has no money. it is a low paying salary compared to tort, accident or defense attorney. Not many law schools specialize in the field.

but thats not my point. Regardless of what you want to be, unless you are going to a community college or others its getting ridiculous for kids.

I hear you. But mixing Obamacare and SL was a mistake and mixing SL with other unrelated programs seems like a mess in waiting. Plus you would have to find funds to replace the stream to Obamacare if SS was to get income.
Yes, it would cause a problem for ACA if it were moved. But the connection between SS (an employment tax) and student loans (acquired with the goal to gain employment) would be more direct. I understand the problems, and it's not like anyone is going to take the idea.

People sometimes seem to forget where the loan money came from, and who was supposed to make money with it. When I buy an I-bond I expect to make a return on my money. When my tax money (government loan in a simple way to look at it) is loaned to someone I also expect to make a return on it. No one forces anyone to go to a bloated costly university. My son is taking 6 years to get his 4 year degree because he is working between semesters to have as little debt as possible. He has heartburn sitting in class with people who would get relief. It is a stupid idea and I am glad it is so far shot down. I would be open to fixing the real problem going forward.
I think it is a little more complicated than that for me. How do you feel about student loan forgiveness for teachers? nurses? or those that enter the military after college? Or those that get law degrees and become public defenders? I'm not sure where to draw the line personally.

If she does reasonably well (top half) from a top law school, tuition debt is a rounding error in life time earnings. Congrats to her! If done right it is a challenging and rewarding profession.
Well as of now she is #1 in class. She will graduate Sum-ma cum Laud. But like I responded in a different post, she a child dependency lawyer, representing abused and neglected kids. It pays little compared to other lawyer fields, but its more rewarding I think. Shell be just fine. But still the cost for al students in any field is getting ridiculous while these schools keep making more and mor money.

Well as of now she is #1 in class. She will graduate Sum-ma cum Laud. But like I responded in a different post, she a child dependency lawyer, representing abused and neglected kids. It pays little compared to other lawyer fields, but its more rewarding I think. Shell be just fine. But still the cost for al students in any field is getting ridiculous while these schools keep making more and mor money.
If she is #1 in a top school, tell her to go to the biggest high paying firm she can for 5 years. Live frugally with roommates. Do a lot of pro bono to help folks like those kids. Pay off student loans and set up a savings account. Then leave the firm and do whatever type of law she wants from there. Those big firms will give her top notch training and great political connections she can use for the kids for decades to come. Most entry-level pro-bono type jobs don’t do a great job of training and the kids/clients don’t always get the best lawyering. Think of it as a residency or post-doc. No need to be poverty lawyer day one.

I'm not expert but I know a lot of people in student loan debt, myself and my wife included. While I am in a good financial position, there are a LOT of people who have been in this student loan pause that are not prepared to restart payments. When June comes around and payments resume, they will have not paid in over 3 years. Between lifestyle creep and massive inflation, that $250 to 500+/mo on top will cripple them. I'm picturing evictions, car repossessions, loan defaults, etc. and think that it may be the straw that breaks the economy's back.

I'm not expert but I know a lot of people in student loan debt, myself and my wife included. While I am in a good financial position, there are a LOT of people who have been in this student loan pause that are not prepared to restart payments. When June comes around and payments resume, they will have not paid in over 3 years. Between lifestyle creep and massive inflation, that $250 to 500+/mo on top will cripple them. I'm picturing evictions, car repossessions, loan defaults, etc. and think that it may be the straw that breaks the economy's back.
And the rich will get richer

Are you suggesting that during the lowest unemployment on record and very significant increases in pay levels in many walks of life and after a free 3 year no payment holiday they saved nothing to resume payments? And that is for their neighbors to pay on their behalf? Seems a bit much to ask to have sympathy at this point.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back