Wanting to switch to wood stove... Need advice

indiana50

I have decided I am ready to get a portable wood stove for my hunt camp set up and do away with the portable heater and propane stove for most trips.

I have zero experience using wood stove but am aware that without some basic knowledge, they can be dangerous and not work properly, so anything folks can share will be useful.

The tent I use is a Cabela's Instinct Outfitters Tent 12x16, which has a floor cut out for the stove placement and a 5 inch stock jack in the roof. In choosing which specific stove, weight is not a huge issue as the only time I use this tent is when the truck is close by but I would prefer that it is reasonable portable and manageable.

I have been looking at this stove below. I realize that it may not be the best quality but I REALLY like the price. If I found that I liked using stoves then I would be willing to upgrade down the road and use this one in the shed or pass onto a friend. But if any of you with experience feel that this stove would not work well in my circumstance then I would be open to other ideas.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...MIwKK9meed1wIVj4NpCh3BRglHEAQYBCABEgK9BPD_BwE

Thanks for any input

You can buy the stove southern elk posted on amazon for about 180. Bought one this year and it worked great after we put foil around the door to keep it from drawing to much air. After the foil it would hold coals all night if you stoked it at about 9 or ten and wake up at 6 to 6:30.

Are you planning to use the stove top to cook on? I've found that it can be done, but a good Coleman is much better. The top of the stove warps over time from the heat so contact with the pan gets spotty and hot spots tend to burn the food while the part that is over the warp is under cooked. The top works best when the stove is new and flat. FWIW

Are you planning to use the stove top to cook on?

Yes, I intend to cook on it. I do a lot of boiling meals that have been frozen in vacuum bags, which I have wondered if it will be difficult to boil a relatively large amount of water.

I use the stove that Southern elk posted in my 14x20 tent. It puts out plenty of heat. The only drawback as far as I'm concerned is it only has capacity for enough wood to burn around four hours. That is with western soft woods like douglas fir and larch. The door definitely needs a gasket or a small wedge to hold it shut. Otherwise it tends to draw a bit too much and burns too fast.

I use it to cook some. If you want to boil a lot of water in a short time, I'd suggest using a propane stove. I found that if I set my coffee pot on the side racks at night and woke up in the middle of the night to stoke the fire again, you would have water that was hot to the touch and only needed a few minutes to boil when I woke in the morning.

I use the stove that Southern elk posted in my 14x20 tent. It puts out plenty of heat. The only drawback as far as I'm concerned is it only has capacity for enough wood to burn around four hours. That is with western soft woods like douglas fir and larch. The door definitely needs a gasket or a small wedge to hold it shut. Otherwise it tends to draw a bit too much and burns too fast.

I use it to cook some. If you want to boil a lot of water in a short time, I'd suggest using a propane stove. I found that if I set my coffee pot on the side racks at night and woke up in the middle of the night to stoke the fire again, you would have water that was hot to the touch and only needed a few minutes to boil when I woke in the morning.

I have the same stove as well.

I agree with Gerald on the capacity issue, but don't have any issue with the door.

I solve the 4 hour burn/capacity issue with about $3 worth of coal each year.

Remember you get what you pay for. Go with one of the cylinder stoves that use more common size pipe and spark arrester. You can cook on them but it may run you out of the tent with the extra heat. As far as creosote it depends on the wood you burn, is it wet, lots of bark etc. With a quality wood stove you can weather the coldest weather and be comfortable. Remember buy once cry once LOL

Good Luck
Dan

This is a stove we won in a local archery club shoot raffle about 25 years ago. It is made of 1/4 in steel and the guy who made it was a great welder.
We use the top rack for cooking and it has a built in spark arrestor inside the stove. Heavy but works great and holds heat well. It will run you out of our 12x14 if we get it too hot. Looks like it will last longer than us.
A fresh coat of paint for next year and it will be good as new. A local welder may be able to make you exactly what you need.

DSCN9021 (800x600).jpg

I bought the Camp Chef stove on Amazon for my 12x14 this year. It worked great and the price was right! Make sure you burn it outside a couple of times to cure the paint.

I would not want to use a wood stove to do all of my cooking on, an LP two burner stove is much better.
Wood stove is good to keep the coffee pot or some already cooked food warm, or a pot of water for washing, etc.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back