Wall Tent Frame

Art Vandeley

Has anyone tried using 1" EMT conduit pipe for a wall tent frame? I bought an older used tent and the frame is very heavy.. 1 1/4" square steel for the frame. Turns out that the 1" conduit fits perfect in the couplings that came with it. I'm just worried that the conduit might be too light?

Seems like it would work to me but would like to see if anyone has any first hand experience. My girlfriends drunken uncle told me it works great but need a second opinion.

Thanks

Here’s a place that sells a kit for just that. If anything I would think if you used a piece of one inch rigid for the “ridge” piece it would be fine. Edit, I’ve never used the mentioned product, but after a windy elk hunt without a frame this is what my dad and I are discussing for the frame.

I've made a wall tent frame for a 12'x14' canvas using 3/4" and 1" without any problem. 3/4 slid right into the joints made by the 1".
Also, the legs remained 1". Slide over the joint of 3/4".

Aside from using a fan to blow away the galvanized fumes while welding and some basic coping to shape the pipes for joints, it was a cake walk at regular 20' emt pipe HD/Lowe's pricing.

Edit added: I color coded with three colors of duct tape... Example: Wrap on the horizontal X color, insert horizontal into same color taped pipe side of joint. Im able to set my 12'x14' in approx 15 minutes, not including tarp top and guy lines. To set up the roof, pull the canvas over and crawl inside and insert the legs... The tent is up in that time frame.

Side note, the first couple years I used a frame made with 3/4" and 1/2". It worked though it flexed. Since changing to 3/4" and 1"... No issues whatsoever.

Last edited:
I've made a wall tent frame for a 12'x14' canvas using 3/4" and 1" without any problem. 3/4 slid right into the joints made by the 1".
Also, the legs remained 1". Slide over the joint of 3/4".

Aside from using a fan to blow away the galvanized fumes while welding and some basic coping to shape the pipes for joints, it was a cake walk at regular 20' emt pipe HD/Lowe's pricing.

Edit added: I color coded with three colors of duct tape... Example: Wrap on the horizontal X color, insert horizontal into same color taped pipe side of joint. Im able to set my 12'x14' in approx 15 minutes, not including tarp top and guy lines. To set up the roof, pull the canvas over and crawl inside and insert the legs... The tent is up in that time frame.

Side note, the first couple years I used a frame made with 3/4" and 1/2". It worked though it flexed. Since changing to 3/4" and 1"... No issues whatsoever.

Thanks Sytes, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Here’s a place that sells a kit for just that. If anything I would think if you used a piece of one inch rigid for the “ridge” piece it would be fine. Edit, I’ve never used the mentioned product, but after a windy elk hunt without a frame this is what my dad and I are discussing for the frame.
My dad made a set using that kit and it's been great.

Reactions: ZBB
I've got a frame made from 1" emt. The corners/joints are top rail for chain link fence, cut, coped and welded. It's just big enough to slide into, and tight enough that I don't have screws in the corners, once the tent slips over it's all held in place. Like Sytes said, make sure you take care of breathing, while welding galvanized. I made a jig for coping by drilling a hole through a piece of 2" square, slip the rail in, and use the same hole saw to cut the rail. it's always been close enough to fill. My tent is 12x12 with a 6 foot awning, never a problem with wind or snow load. My particular frame has three lenghts of emt, rafters, side rails, and legs, and they're all painted a different color. Much easier to figure out in the dark setting up the tent.

Our's is framed up with the 1" and it works great. Very sturdy and strong. Held up through many nights of sustained 40 mph and gusts of 70 mph at times. Only downfall is they're kinda heavy to transport when all bundled up.

I bought the 1" EMT yesterday and cut them myself. They slide right into my existing couplings/corners. I think it's going to work great and the frame bag is much lighter now. Thanks for the help fellas. Best part is I bought all the conduit it for $180

I also use the 1” tubing for my frame without any troubles. I used a sharpie to write on each piece what it is- ridge or rafter. He legs have rubber feet on the bottom so they didn’t need any writing. Makes it simple to get pieces in the right place to set up quickly.

Even easier than a sharpie is to set up the frame and then rattle can the joints different colors

I did eaves orange, ridge pole red and rafters green.

We used 1" EMT for our 16x20 Davis tent this fall. Stood up to 60 mph winds, but (thankfully) we didn't get to test its snow carrying capacity. It is what Davis Tent recommends and they have been doing this for many hunters for many years - good enough for me.

I bought a used 10x14 canvas tent of unknown origin from Marketplace over the spring. I just made a frame from one inch over the summer so I could use it as a kitchen tent. Works great. I may even start taking that thing with me on some solo weekend hunts since its light enough and fast setting up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back