Very Late, My girls and I's 2015 hunts

RidgeRunner76

Please bear with me here. I'm going to take my time on this write up as it has some back story, and been over 15 years in the making. I'll keep it as brief as I can though.

Way back in the early 90's we used to hunt elk and mule deer in the Gunnison Basin area. Early on hunting was good, but as a young teen I was never able to connect on a good buck. A couple of fork horns and a small 2x3. This coincided with the great mule deer decline in CO and after awhile seeing a doe was a big deal. We stopped hunting deer altogether and my dad, cousin and I started collecting deer Pref. Points hoping for a resurgence in deer populations. We weren't disappointed when the CDOW finally got a handle on things and our once great herds soared to unreal levels. These hunts needed 7-8 Pref. Points to draw, but while hunting elk every year we would see many, many big bucks. Fast forward to 2007 and after the draw that year we would finally have enough Pref. Points to draw our coveted tag in the fall of 2008 and be able to chase the big boys around. Lady luck intervened that winter, and we had the great 2007/08 blizzard that killed off 30-50% of the Gunnison Basin deer herds.

With no real options we continued to collect points and hoped to see the herds come back. In 2010 we had 2 major health scares in elk camp with my dad and cousin. My cousin was able to get his straightened out, but my dad has been a very long process. We knew what he was suffering from, but the Dr's would not issue a diagnosis( Early Onset Alzheimer's/Advanced Dementia) until Sept. of this year. It was decided last year that since the Gunnison deer herds had rebounded again, we'd burn our Pref. Points and get my dad on one last Mule Deer hunt. As luck would have it, he couldn't come this year due to the diagnosis his Dr. gave in Sept. and the death of his wife's brother 3 days before we were to leave. He did get his Pref. Points restored and if his health holds we will take him next year. He insisted my cousin and I make the trip, and we honored his wish.

I prepped my gear and headed up to the hunt area on Weds. Oct. 14th. Season opened on Sat. the 17th and my cousin and his son were to arrive in camp on Fri. the 16th. I got set up in camp and spent Weds. afternoon and through Fri. midday scouting and getting to know the area. The places I scouted out we only hunted one afternoon, as we were soon to find out most of the deer were south and west of where I had scouted. My family arrived safe on Fri. and after camp was set up for them we visited some friends in town and scouted till sundown where we were going to hunt the next morning. My cousin's son had this tag the year previous and he was invaluable asset to both of us on this hunt. Sleep was very little the night before as my cousin and I were very nervous about waiting this long for the tag and hoping we could find bucks worthy of the years spent waiting. We did have one promising sighting Friday night as we did find one buck both of us wanted to put a tag on. He was in a herd of 5 bucks, all decent 4x4's, but he was pretty special. He was 28-30" wide, super tall and had 3" eyeguards. However, what made him "special" was the fact that his 3rd points split where they left the main beam on both sides, and he basically had 10" Double 3rds. However, we never saw him or his running mates again.

I did not have my good cameras on me, but I did get to snap this blurry cell phone pic of him. He's on the far left. Sorry its not better

That's the back story.

After a sleepless night it was opening morning. After some coffee and breakfast my cousin's son suggested we hit a spot he knew from last year. He took us to a huge section of BLM land that borders a big alfalfa field. The year previous he encountered a ton of deer moving from the field each morning. We were soon to be completely overwhelmed with what happened right at 1st light.

We arrived at the spot as perfect as can be with timing, but we also got a very big surprise. The 1st sighting of the morning was 30 head of elk! Of course, we had put in for elk tags for this hunt as well, but were unable to draw a tag. SO here we are opening morning with 30 elk (1 big 6x6, 5x5, 2 raghorn 4pts, and the rest cows) at less than 60 yards feeding on the BLM hillside... We watched for a few minutes then moved down the ridge maybe 300 yards when we spot our first bucks.

First we saw 3 decent 4x4 bucks. As we watch and hoping for a bit more light, more bucks got up and started feeding about 300 yards from us. We glass for about 10 minutes and all total 6 bucks are in this group. 1 is especially good, but as the sun started to get up a little higher, they melted into the timber heading away, and up from us.

We talked it over and we wanted to see if we couldn't locate them again as we wanted to look them over in better light. Over the next hour or so, we slowly paralleled their path while moving and glassing. About 8:20am we found them again about 1.25 miles around the main ridge. They were still feeding. After a couple minutes of glassing I found the biggest of the bunch again, and he also happened to be the closest. My cousin and I whispered back and forth, and I asked if he wanted him, or if he'd mind if I shot this buck. Before this hunt I looked over tons of pictures of mule deer bucks and many that came from this area. I had a firm vision in my head of what I'd shoot and what I wouldn't. I also wanted to have reasonable expectations as well. This buck exceeded all my criteria even though my tag was valid for 9 days.

I got set up in the shooting sticks and my cousin's son whispered it was 201 yards on the rangefinder. Buck fever was setting in, and I had pull off the scope and take a deep breathe, and tell myself to calm down and concentrate. Back in the sticks I watched this buck look at me, then turn his head and start feeding again. He was barely quartered away and mostly broadside. I settled in, crosshairs tight to the back of his near shoulder, as the trigger broke I heard bullet hit meat, and literally watched this buck fall in the scope before recoil even took up and out of the sight picture.

I put another round in the chamber, snapped on the safety and made a controlled walk up the hill although I really just wanted run right up and and see him up close. lol :D :lol:

Long story short, 1 hour and roughly 20 minutes into a 9 day season, I put my dream buck on the ground. We got him field dressed and out to the truck pretty quick so I could get him skinned and caped out as quickly as I could do to temps climbing fast.

After getting my buck hung, and taken care of, we headed out Sat. afternoon and hunted hard till dark. We saw several bucks but nothing my cousin wanted to shoot. Most were good 4x4s but not as big as mine.

Put the spotter to use and here's a few pics of Sat. afternoon.

Sat. night the rain moved in. By Sunday morning it was raining really hard. We located several groups of bucks and my cousin put a few stalks on a couple great bucks but no shots. Hunted hard all day, but no deer on the ground.

Monday morning it was still raining. However, just like Sat. morning we got a good surprise when we ran into the exact same herd of elk coming off the alfalfa fields.

At the same time I was taking pics of the elk, my cousin and his son were putting a stalk on another group of bucks roughly in the same spot as we first spotted mine. What came next was complete frustration as 3 other groups of hunters saw what my cousin was doing and came barging up the ridge running the deer off to parts unknown. This wasn't a total loss though. As I was watching the elk they kicked up a buck who must have been on the same field. I watched him head up the same canyon my deer was shot in. We regrouped and headed that way.

There's a very cool side story to this. On Sat. we ran into an older gentleman hunting by himself. He had a bull and buck tag and we told him where the elk were. He said due to his health, he wasn't going to chase them down, but appreciated the info. While coming back down from looking for the big buck I saw come out with the elk we saw him in the bottom of the draw glassing. We made our way down and talked to him for a few. It was about this time I noticed a buck feeding across a saddle behind us. I wasn't the big buck from the morning, but a pretty decent 4x4. The old man got excited and said he wanted to try and stalk this buck. He also asked if my cousin would go around the backside of the hill just in case he spooked that way. My cousin was more than agreeable to this considering how the morning started. I stayed down the ridge with the spotter where I could see both parties. I watched the buck bed facing me. For some reason he knew I was there, but this proved to be perfect. The old man was 1st to reach shooting range of the buck and with the bucks attention on me the old man got a 70 yard shot and dropped the buck. My cousin called me on the radio and said let's meet up at the old man's buck and help him get him out. We did, and I believe we made a lifelong friend with John. He greatly appreciated the help as he thought it would of taken him 2 days to pack the buck out. We got him drug down the hill out into the flat where we could get him picked up with a truck. It was about this time as we were taking a break that I looked on the hillside we hunted that morning and that I shot my buck on there stood the big buck I saw with the elk.

My cousin and his son put on a stalk, and 3 shots later his buck was down. It did take us a bit to find him as he went behind a copse of trees and fell into a dense thicket of saplings. We did find him and the 2nd buck of the day was on his way off the mountain. 2 tags, filled in 2 1/2 days with a 3rd tag filled by John that we assisted on. We got both bucks loaded up and hauled John's to his camp. 2015 was good to us in spades. One the best hunts I've ever been on.

Cousin's 2015 Buck

I got home late Monday night to tend to the meat.

My butchering buddy.

Now that my hunt is done, my twin Daughters have 3rd season buck tags and 4th season either sex elk tags. Sunday I took them up and did final sight in. Here are some pics and hopefully more critters will be in the freezer soon.

All 3 kids shooting the .243's

Son with .22

Worn out kiddos

Well, just wanted to share the story of my girls 1st Mule Deer hunt. So far the prime goal of having fun is going well, and we've seen legal animals 2 days in a row. Which actually exceeded any dream I could of summed up for my girls.

Our goal was to hunt some areas that were not too brutal on the terrain/distance scale. So I did what homework I could since I have not hunted in this area since the early 2000's although it is my back yard. It was the epicenter of the CWD outbreak and the CDOW had the hunters and their cull teams do a real number on the deer/elk herds to help with the CWD. About 10 years ago they drastically cut tag numbers and been letting herds slowly rebound. It seems to be doing well as we have seen. This area is not known for trophies, but just good solid deer.

Opening morning found us up at 4:30am for the 1 hour drive to the parking spot. We got off ok and made it up a little early. However, we killed a little time till false dawn was giving way to first light. When hunting deer, I typically like to have enough light to see even while hiking in, as they can be found almost anywhere. We got about a half mile in when we came to the first knoll I wanted to glass from. There was about a 280 degree panorama of hillsides we could glass. As I was glassing the 1st hillside I found 1 deer, then a 2nd. I quietly dug the spotter out to get a better look in the dim light. What I saw dropped my jaw. In the frame on the downhill side was a very good 3x3 buck, and on the uphill side was a bruiser of a 4x4 buck.

The girls had made a plan on who shoots first by flipping a coin earlier in the week. I had told them that it could be rather difficult and possibly disastrous for me to try and watch 2 shooters and 2 different animals. So we would need to set up 1 and 1. Isabella was first up so we got the shooting sticks ready while I ranged their rough location(my range finder is ancient but works well on terrain and not hair). Anyways, I got a range of 235 yards, but we had a imposed limit of 150. So Isabella and I made our way up the ridge to cut some distance. We didn't quite make the 150 mark, but I did get a range of roughly 175 yards +/- off a boulder the deer was feeding under. Got Isabella onto the sticks and she was having a real hard time going from looking at the deer with her eyes, then trying to pick him up in the scope. After a few tense minutes she was able to get on him. By this time he was feeding directly away on a big bush. I told her just hold on, we'll wait him out until he turns broadside. It took about 5 minutes, but he finally turned and started feeding again.

I told her take a few deep breathes, and calm her nerves. She did so. Next I reminded her where she needed to aim, and that she was free to switch off the safety and fire when she was ready. I heard the safety snap off, then there was a real long pause before the rifle cracked. Missed low. The buck and his buddy walked off in a medium gate, not spooked, but more like wondering what that was. They got into a thick copse of oak brush, and we could only watch them move side hill. I had Isabella put another round in, and stay on them. About 50 yards across the side hill, they came out and the smaller buck was facing away, but the big buck stopped broadside. I got another range and they were still right around the 175 mark, so I told Isabella to take another shot when she was ready. Safety snapped off, and boom went the rifle again. This one went high. Well, the 2 bucks slowly turned directly away and went up the ridge and eventually stopped while skylined and started feeding again and slowly dropped off the back side. We watched them for a while until they were gone.

We all talked for a bit and I felt it would be best to slowly back out and not try and chase them in that super steep terrain. We'd leave them be, and hopefully Sunday morn they would be back. We spent the rest of the day hunting a different drainage not far away, and saw 11 does in 2 different herds. The rut has not started, but it should be any day we see a little activity.

Sunday, it was Elsie's turn to have 1st shot, and after a very restless night of me worrying if I made the right choice we followed Saturdays routine. As it got light, we made our hike in to the same knoll. 10 seconds on the bino's I've got the big buck pinpointed. Only problem is, he's at 350+ yards and higher op on the ridge. Elsie and I get the sticks ready and we head up the ridge trying to cut some distance with the hope, he'd feed our way albeit it was a long shot. We get to our perch and its still 250 yards or so. I get her set up while I glass him. Within a couple of minutes he feeds behind a big tree and just like that he's gone but can't be too far. So, we talk and Elsie wants to try and wait him out. Mule deer are known to get up several times during the day to feed, and I was pretty impressed she remembered that. I found an area we could cross the creek and move up a steep knoll that would put us closer to that hillside with better sight lines. Knoll might be too generous as it seemed more like we were flirting with cliff climbing lol. However, we got set up in a copse of tree's and rocks and waited.

I'm confident he bedded down into one of the patches oak brush/pine at the top of the hill, but as you all know they can seemingly disappear in those thickets. We glassed and waited for the next 5 hours. Both the girls still had homework to get done before school today, so we had to call it a day and head home. There won't be any time to hunt during the week as they have Bball tryouts every night, and having just got back from 10 days of vacation myself, its not a good time for me to take more time off.

However, I was fairly confident that since the weekenders like us won't be back till next weekend, that there is a fair chance these bucks and does will be in the same general area by next weekend. They are also calling for a decent snowstorm this Thurs. so that should help concentrate the deer, and possibly get a little more rut activity going.

So, with the girls school and basketball commitments hunting evenings during the week wasn't going to work. I was however successful in lobbying into pulling them out of school 1 day. Weds and into Thurs the weather forecast was calling for some snow. Not alot, but hopefully enough to stir up the animals a bit. The rut hadn't shown any signs of kicking in yet. Normally its anytime during the 1st week of November.

We made it up and parked earlier than we did on the weekend. We had a bit longer hike to get to where we needed to be. After slogging up the hill, we arrived in time to glass the hillsides the 2 bucks had been feeding up and escaping to. Unfortunately, after a couple hours we hadn't seen anything moving. Not on any hillsides. Even the does we'd been seeing were not there. So, we decided to head back down and hit a few more spots throughout the day. We eventually saw deer in several places, but none were bucks. We also saw 2 different herds of bighorn sheep with several nice rams in the bunch. Despite our best efforts, we couldn't turn up any bucks. We did chit chat with another hunter while eating lunch, and all he'd been seeing all week were does. So at least we had seen 2 bucks over the weekend. The girls were upbeat, and very positive we'd see another buck or 2 on the coming weekend hunt. Which, due to Bball, we could only hunt Sunday.

Anyways, here are some pics of the Thurs. hunt.

All during this hunt, my daughter Elsie had been fighting a sore ankle. Luckily Sat. Bball practice was early and short in duration. So we were able to give her ample time to rest and ice it. Sunday(yesterday) she felt better in the morning, and after another 4am wake up, we arrived at our spot. The plan for today was this. We were going to get in at 1st light and see if our 2 bucks were in the area. If they weren't, then I had 7 other spots to try. The plan was I'd hike in the short distance and glass in order for the girls to save their energy to make a stalk. Elsie's ankle was on my mind as well. The spot we kept seeing the big bucks was empty and after a half hour of glassing I loaded everyone up and hit spot number 2. I hiked in, and only found 1 doe and her fawn and an adjacent hillside. Off to spot 3. Nothing in there at all. Ok, onto spot 4. Spot 4 was actually a cool spot and earlier in the week I kept telling myself it would be perfect place to find a bunch of deer. This one also afforded me the option to use a 2way radio if I spotter anything. So we parked, and I had my son turn on the radio while I took the 2nd one and hiked in.

I got over the 1st ridge and immediately glassed up 2 does, and 2 fawns. Out of the corner of my eye, I see another deer next to a bush. This deer finally picked his head up, and I could see he was a great buck. I eased off the ridge far enough that my calling on the radio wouldn't be heard in the bowl the deer were in. I radioed back to have the girls grab their stuff, and head my way. A couple minutes later, everyone was with me and we eased back up the ridge. I found a good spot in the boulder field and I got both girls setup on the shooting sticks. Since Bella had already shot at the big buck on opening morning, it was Elsie's turn to shoot first. However, I made the decision as well that once Elsie took her shot, Isabella was free to shoot too, if the buck was still on his feet, or a miss.

We got settled in, and I watched through the bino's as the buck was putting on the full show of chasing the one doe. The rut was kicking in and this was great! Problem was, he was following the doe around like he had a ring and a rope tied to his nose. Everytime he'd get broadside, she'd move and off he'd follow. As well, Elsie was having a real hard time getting properly aligned in the scope. With the uphill angle she kept getting scope black out. Minutes are going by and the great news was the deer weren't even aware we were there, but I kept worrying they'd drop off the back of the ridge at any moment. I quietly slip Elsie's back pack off, and set it on top of a boulder in front of us. I got her to stand up and use her back pack as a rest. Isabella was still good to go on the shooting sticks and was getting antsy to get a shot off. lol The move to the rock, off the backpack solved Elsie's issues, and she finally had a great sight picture. I gave both girls last second aiming advice, yardage, and reminded them to take their time. Breath, settle in the sight picture, and squeeze when ready. Reminded Bella, she too was free to shoot after the 1st shot if the buck didn't fall.

I hear both safeties click off. Meanwhile I'm calling the target on and off, as the doe keeps feeding in and out behind the buck. Finally, she turns up hill and he turns broadside again. This time, he doesn't follow her, but sticks his neck way up in the air, and does what bucks do when he's in the mood. Smelling the air without a care in the world. Girls know he's broadside, and I'm getting nervous as it seems like hours pass and no shot. In retrospect, I'm so proud of them for taking their time. It allowed them to get over the initial excitement and adrenaline rush. So, after an eternity, Elsie's rifle cracks and then the solid thump of a hit. I watch as the buck stutter steps, drops his head, and turns downhill. Broadside, and in perfect position. Then Isabella's rifle cracks, and thump. Another solid hit. At this time I see the doe take off over the ridge, and the buck has also disappeared. I jerked a little at the second shot, and am not sure he fell down, or managed to make a death run.

I tell the girls to dump their packs, were just taking the guns and sticks, but we need to get up the ridge as fast as we can. Within a couple minutes, were up the ridge and this is what we find!

As he lay.

He fell right where he was at the second shot from Isabella. Post mortem would show that Elsie's shot hit tight behind his right shoulder and blew out the back of the lungs and offside ribs. Isabella's shot, took out his left front quarter and the middle of his lungs.

Girls are winded but excited from the fast hike up the ridge, but without any prompting from me they are taking off coats, and getting the rifles set down. I took a couple field photo's with the girls on my cell, then left them there as I had to go back down to the truck to retrieve my knives out of my backpack, and gather up my wife/son and the good camera gear. A funny aside to this is about the time I was passing my wife and son going up the hill, my wife pointed out a curious bighorn ram standing about 100 yards away. She was afraid he may come closer, but I thought he'd keep his distance. Well apparently I was wrong as he followed my wife and son almost completely to the kill sight. lol He then peeled off and went over a different ridge.

After a long hike to gather gear, and back up the ridge it was time for field photo's, gutting, and finally a very long drag back to the truck. Which all my kids didn't hesitate nor mind the field care. I'm pretty thankful for that. So, that's our story. A great buck on the last day of the season, and 2 perfect shot's from each girl. Another special thing about this hunt is that my daughter Elsie used my wife's .243 and my daughter Isabella used my .243 which as many know was given to me by a very special man that I will never forget. Ok. Here are the pics of the final day.

My girls hunt was the best I've ever been on and 2015 in general will be one of the best years I've ever had. For 2016 my dad has a buck tag where my cousin and I shot ours last year and my cousin and I drew bull tags for the same season. Hopefully they are all in the same spots as last year.

My girls drew 3rd season buck and bull tags for where they hunted last year, and I managed to draw a buck tag as well. Hopefully we can turn up the big buck again as I saw him several times during the winter. I've not found him yet, but I haven't gone full blown scouting just yet...

Hope everyone's fall is successful and thanks for letting me share my families 2015 experiences. After reading years and years worth of stories here, I felt like I wanted to share ours too.

Stay safe and hunt hard.

Making memories that will be with them their whole life. Congrates on a great hunt.

Great stuff right there! Congrats to you and the girls. Sure hope the luck continues this year with your dad.

Super job all the way around! Congrats! I really hope things work out for your father to go this year!

Thank you gentleman. Appreciate the kind words. Family means alot to me, and seeing my girls while having my son and wife along, kill a great 1st buck was the best. Hopefully this year both girls are healthy(bball injuries) and we can hike a bit deeper.

As to my dad, he has the tag and is primed to go this year. We'll pull into camp 2 days early and hopefully can find a big buck before season starts. Probably going to be his last hunt so want to make it the best we can.

These are my favorite stories to read. Thqnk you for sharing and congratulations to you and your daughters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back