velvet question

tom338

will be hunting western wyoming this fall, when do the mule deer shed their velvet??

I shot a 5x4 in eastern Wyoming on October 2nd a couple years ago and it still had just a little on the tips of its forks and around a kicker

Killed this one in full velvet in CO just south of the WY line around 9/5. By that time about half are hard horned. A week later all but a few small bucks are slick.

Attachments

• 5625.jpg
    5625.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 119
My experience seems just a little later than many of these guys. I hunt western wy every year and on a typical year, 15th opener about maybe 30% of all bucks I see are still in velvet. By 26th (elk opener) all are hard horned. I have watched several bucks day-to-day loose there velvet during this time, kind of fun watching the change. If you want a velvet buck you can definitely find one early in rifle but everyday odds drop. Last year I got to camp late (20 sept) and the 3 guys camped next to my base camp spot had shot 3- 4/4's; 1that day and 2 day before. 2 were velvet 1 was hard horned. Decent bucks not monsters but quality bucks. I can't wait till September 15th!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back