Vandalism

WyoDoug

I see this a lot. I have seen cow tanks, signs, mail boxes and buildings that got vandalized and shot at. This was a prime reason my uncle and my dad stopped letting people hunt when we were on the farm. This crap is exactly how we may lose hunting and fishing opportunities from landowners who would otherwise support what we do.

shotstopsign.jpg

Last edited:
I was recently at a popular Bozeman trailhead to hike with my kids gettin in shape for elk season. We rarely go on busy city folk trails. Bathroom was full of trash, five or so doggie Poop bags On the floor outside, someone had cleaned up all their trash and left it in bags on the bathroom floor as if it was some other persons job to remove it. And to top it all off the steel bathroom door someone had emptied mag or two in to it.. one only has to wonder who raised these people? I suspect just a symptom of a bigger underlying problem with our society.

Around here that is a common sight. I've seen signs shot up with houses all around it and on busy main roads.
From what I gather its not hunters, but drunks, stoners meth heads, and young @$$ holes shooting at them.
We as hunters will more than likely get the flak in the end, for something we have minimal effect on

Around here that is a common sight. I've seen signs shot up with houses all around it and on busy main roads.
From what I gather its not hunters, but drunks, stoners meth heads, and young @$$ holes shooting at them.
We as hunters will more than likely get the flak in the end, for something we have minimal effect on
Same here.
Agree, not hunters doing it.

I agree the bulk of vandalism is not hunters. There is overlap between idiots and people with hunting licenses but is not a significant overlap. I see trash left at hunt camps and other issues like lag bolting into trees. Hunters are part of the problem.

As I have gotten older is easy to see that some people do not do harmful things out of ignorance but rather are fully aware they are destroying property and in some cases lives. Society actually rewards such behavior by disproportionally putting the cost of cleanup and replacement on everyone rather than the perps even if the perps are caught and convicted.

I live in a city and the amount of dog crap left by dog owners walking their dogs that feel is not their duty to clean up the mess would create a mountain of stink. I don't think this is a protest effort by dog owners. Buildings are not being set on fire after all.

Historians and archeologists find plates of metal that are scrawled by the ancients lamenting the youth, lazy people, cheats, etc. I am not sure today is worse than prior times though I seem to notice it more than when I was younger and less cantankerous.

So true

There isn’t a sign here in SE Nebraskastan that hasn’t been shot. City kids out driving around shooting things. All the country kids know where the ranges are.

There isn’t a sign here in SE Nebraskastan that hasn’t been shot. City kids out driving around shooting things. All the country kids know where the ranges are.
Yeah, come to think of it, I didn't see too many signs around our farm that didn't have bullet holes. That don't piss me off as much as grain bins with bullet holes. Shooting at grain bins can actually start them on fire fairly easy.

Unfortunately it feeds into the thought by some that there should be more regulations and hurdles to gun ownership, a few bad apples spoil the bushel.

I want to pile on too, that's probably not hunters, just buttheads...

I knew two guys in high school who one night stole a truck off a vineyard, bought a case of beer, and proceeded to drive around town shooting signs and mailboxes and assassinating 3 of our 4 stoplights. They got busted because they parked on the wrong side of the street when they stopped to say hi to some girls, and a deputy stopped to see why the truck was pointing the wrong direction. Nobody made the assumption it was hunters.

There are just as many idiot hunters as there are idiot nonhunters. I once found a couple hunters camped right off the road who were using paper towels as toilet paper. They simply dropped these paper towels on the ground after use, and the wind would pick them up and scatter them. They were everywhere. I only hope they had raw rear ends.

Its drunks with guns... or kids, or both. Lots of drunks driving around in MT and WY once the sun sets... It isn't "city kids," is the country kids that are tuned up, and have guns in their vehicles doing it. Kind of like blaming poaching on non-residents, when 99% of it is bubba down the street.

Its drunks with guns... or kids, or both. Lots of drunks driving around in MT and WY once the sun sets... It isn't "city kids," is the country kids that are tuned up, and have guns in their vehicles doing it. Kind of like blaming poaching on non-residents, when 99% of it is bubba down the street.

I grew up around here and always have had guns in the truck. My buddies were the same way, none of us ever shot signs. I couldn’t tell you how many times during deer season we see people from Omaha and Lincoln “sighting in” their rifles on road signs.

It comes from the continued erosion of consequences and personal responsibility. I read a magazine article some time back that argued it has been a growing issue since President Clinton lied on national television and faced no meaningful consequences. If someone can do that and escape justice, can anyone be held accountable for anything? That attitude and perception continued to grow which only begat more and more lack of consequences and people believing there should be no consequnces....

I'm not sure that was really the root of all this, it seems the anonymity of our lifestyles now is primarily to blame. Nobody cares about other people anymore, we are all concerned only of ourselves, nobody else matters, and nobody should tell anyone different. Think like me or your stupid, live like me or your ignorant, support me and my world view or your my enemy......its all ridiculous and is leading us down a road with a very unfortunate end.

most likely done by the anti gun and anti gun crowd or just some disrespecting human with no cause or motive

I bet it’s kids 15-20 years old. We would never litter trash but my friends and I used to do some of the worst shit if I caught myself now I’d kick my own ass!

If you are reading this and shoot at signs, you are a complete douchebag and should be completely ashamed of yourself. Also, sorry about your small peepee.

I wonder if the idiots who do that ever check what's behind the sign:eek:

I've seen signs shot, not just with birdshot, with an occupied building a couple hundred yards away in direct line of sight. I do believe hunters are the majority of culprits around here and it honestly doesn't surprise me when I think of other crap some of these guys pull.

It comes from the continued erosion of consequences and personal responsibility. I read a magazine article some time back that argued it has been a growing issue since President Clinton lied on national television and faced no meaningful consequences. If someone can do that and escape justice, can anyone be held accountable for anything? That attitude and perception continued to grow which only begat more and more lack of consequences and people believing there should be no consequnces....

Canada doesn't care much for Billy and Hill-Dog and we still have idiots around here. People lack respect and understanding of consequences their actions may have.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elitehunter85
Back