Utah Auction/Raffle Tags

jryoung

I tried to find some of the old threads that highlights the number of tags taken from the general pool of LE/Premium hunts and put into the raffle pool and up for auction.

Does anyone have these numbers handy or a solid estimate? Also, were the 200 raffle tags created specifically for this purpose or were they removed from the general pool of tags?

Thanks.

All the tags were taken from the public trough and were not extra tags created just for that purpose. Don't quote me, but I believe the total is close to 500 tags, including the 200 Expo tags, the Auction tags at the Expo, and all the tags they have at the various banquets they hold all over Utah. The corruption is all the way to the Office of the Governor. I'm going to do an edit and put up a link that you will find interesting and pretty disgusting to listen to in the last minute or so of the short speech the Governor gave at the Expo. The new contract is for 5 years, with a possible extension the DWR has now put in the rules, but notice how he explicitly states 10 years:

http://sfw.net/2016/03/02/utah-governor-herbert-praises-western-hunting-conservation-expo/

Last edited:
(If) Utah sets it's tag numbers by the amount of sustainable harvest then every tag that is auction\ raffled is effectively taken from the general pool.
What they've done is they have taken a few hundred tags and claimed that they were not being taken from the general pool. Then as if it were a completely separate matter claimed that they needed to cut back on tags to the public in order to increase age and sex ratio.
I have never looked for the numbers because from my point of view it's a moot point.

I tried to find some of the old threads that highlights the number of tags taken from the general pool of LE/Premium hunts and put into the raffle pool and up for auction.

Does anyone have these numbers handy or a solid estimate? Also, were the 200 raffle tags created specifically for this purpose or were they removed from the general pool of tags?

Thanks.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings/board/2015-08_board_packet.pdf

Expo permits (200 annually) start on page 153, conservation permits (315 annually) start on page 156. The 200 expo permits were supposed to be removed from the general pool. Pretty sticky considering that they are approved a year in advance, long before license numbers for the following year are approved.

As stated above, the 200 tags were taken from the general pool. Initially 50/50 from the resident and non-resident pool. Now it's supposed to be closer to 90% resident 10% NR, but ends up looking more like 75% resident pool and 25% NR.

As stated above, the 200 tags were taken from the general pool. Initially 50/50 from the resident and non-resident pool. Now it's supposed to be closer to 90% resident 10% NR, but ends up looking more like 75% resident pool and 25% NR.

Not sure that is accurate, but regardless of what the percentage of Res/NR is, the total is 100% of the people are getting screwed in the draws with all those tag that are gone from it!

There have been several discussions about the percentages on a few other forums recently. I wasn't involved in the process along the way so am taking others with a greater knowledge of what's going on at their word.

In the end I agree. 50/50 or 90/10 doesn't matter. Screwed is screwed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back