Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

using hounds

TLC

anyone ever hunted bear using hounds? talked to a guy in new mexico who does it this way. worth it? fun? any opinions on hunting them this way?

I've been along on quite a few hound bear hunts but never killed one myself. There is a whole spectrum of hound hunters just as there are other types. From the roading guys who can practically drive to the tree to the hard core bare ground mule and on foot hunters who cover miles of unroaded country.

Driving roads is the most prevalent in logging country like Northern Idaho where I tagged along. The chase can be short or long depending on the bear. You can spend a lot of time bumping down the FS road then still have to go down into some dark hell hole to retrieve dogs. You seldom see the chase unless it is really open country.

If you like to hear hunting stories and listen to guys brag about their dogs, hound hunting can be great fun. If I could have a pack of hounds and dedicate the time to training them it would be really rewarding. But I don't, so a Hound hunt is behind a spot and stalk in priority for me.

It appeals much more to me than a bait hunt. It helps to be in good shape for the hunt but many of the good houndsmen I knew weren't athletic by any means.

Here is a link to a blog who enjoys hunting bears with hounds

Last edited:
When the dogs open up on a good track it will deffinetly get the adrenaline pumping. Dog hunting is very fun if you have good dogs, otherwise it can be a bit aggregating.

If your a dog person any hunting with dogs is as good as it gets. Weather it's following bear dogs or chasing rabbits with beagles or bird bunting over a pointer

My first dog hunt landed me a B&C 7'3" monster, on the 1st day ! Yeah it was fun, although short lived. Who is the guide you're talking to ?

guys name is Nick Mondragon. sante fe area. says the tags are OTC. uses walker dogs. father in law will like that. been around hound owners the past 18+ years. they do like to talk about their dawgs.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildernesstracker
Back