Upland Pant/Vest Recommendation

NDGuy

What's everyone wearing for pant/vest? I finally wore out some browning pants I bought a few years ago and looking to snag a new vest too.

Looking at Filson, LL Bean, Orvis, Scheels and First Lite Sawbuck pants.

On the cheaper side, has anyone used Carhartt or Dan's pants/chaps?

What's everyone wearing for pant/vest? I finally wore out some browning pants I bought a few years ago and looking to snag a new vest too.

I used to use carhartts for pheasants, work great for protection from stickers. Hated them because they don't fit me well and because of that hurt my hips from fighting them. Other guys love their fit, so it must be a love it or hate it kind of deal.

As for vests, I'm simple, scheels blaze vest. The mid level one. Works for my needs.

I know several guys who swear by Dan's. Regular carharts and/or a pair of 'ancient' carhart brush pants I inherited have worked pretty well for me. Well, when I got the brush pants, I didn't realize the right front pocket had a hole in them, and ended up losing my truck keys in chest high switch grass. That was a wasted day hunting. Well I guess I was still hunting, but not critters. After a repaired pocket, I like the brush pants during warmer hunts. The beauty of Dan's is they can go over as much or as little clothing/insulation as you would like (yes, there's a joke in there somewhere).

I know several guys who swear by Dan's. Regular carharts and/or a pair of 'ancient' carhart brush pants I inherited have worked pretty well for me. Well, when I got the brush pants, I didn't realize the right front pocket had a hole in them, and ended up losing my truck keys in chest high switch grass. That was a wasted day hunting. Well I guess I was still hunting, but not critters. After a repaired pocket, I like the brush pants during warmer hunts. The beauty of Dan's is they can go over as much or as little clothing/insulation as you would like (yes, there's a joke in there somewhere).
For Dan's are you talking the chaps or the pants?

On the (very) cheap side, I have owned some Wrangler brush pants for one grouse season in Colorado, one Grouse season in Wyoming, and a 5 day pheasant hunt in SoDak. They have held up great.

Duluth Trading pants have held up really well for me for about 7 years now.

i have had great success with the double front work pants (carhart brown color) for briars/brush. Fit well. I am usually a 36/34 so they have numerous taller inseam options.

I’ve been using the flex double front Carhartts and a Cabela’s canvas vest for a long time, mainly for pheasants. I would like to try the new First Lite brush pants and a vest that’s a little more suited to carrying gear and water.

I would like to try the new First Lite brush pants and a vest that’s a little more suited to carrying gear and water.
Looking hard at those too. I just wonder about long term durability and how wet they get.

Have successfully used Cabelas upland denim pants, First lite's upland/brush pants and Duluth "Alaskan" pants over the last several years. In the good old days Levis seemed to do just fine for getting birds, but nice now to have better options when things get wet.

For high dollar stuff, the new pyke gear thats advertising on all the podcasts is awesome. For budget, wrangler outdoor pants and Dan's chaps are as good per dollar as any gear I own.

For high dollar stuff, the new pyke gear thats advertising on all the podcasts is awesome. For budget, wrangler outdoor pants and Dan's chaps are as good per dollar as any gear I own.
Vest is a much more personal choice. I have a wingworks that I love for full days carry lots of water and shells/birds. For lightweight, filson and orvis make great options and it seems like there are new companies everyday.

When going for short hunts close to the trucks I like a super simple browning pheasant forever strap vest and when needing to carry more, longer, I use a Tenzing BV16 "pack vest".

You should ask that Lamb guy. The Outdoor social arbiter of snooty upland couture.
While you're at it, ask if it's ok to use a Rem wingmaster whilst wearing said ensemble :cool:

You should ask that Lamb guy. The Outdoor social arbiter of snooty upland couture.
While you're at it, ask if it's ok to use a Rem wingmaster whilst wearing said ensemble :cool:

The 870 is the F150 of the shotgun world. The wingmaster is the King Ranch edition.

I'll never chide anyone for the gun they use, just the lack of class they display in the field.

Love the wingworks, but a bit out of my price range. I have a Buck's Bags Upland Vest that I use for full day hunts. I use my Filson for short hunts and dove hunts where water and lunch storage is not needed.

Back