PEAX Equipment

Update:Wolf Trespass

Nemont

I am not trying to ruffle anymore feathers and am simple posting a story I read in the paper regarding the earlier topic of alleged trespass by federal workers. Purely FYI

April 17, 2004

Wolf trespass case results in charges
By ALLISON BATDORFF
Gazette Wyoming Bureau

CODY, Wyo. - A complaint of trespassing against government wolf researchers on a Meeteetse ranch will go to court, as criminal charges were filed Friday by Park County Prosecuting Attorney Bryan Skoric.

The decision comes after a thorough investigation by the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation, Skoric said.

Michael Jimenez, Wyoming wolf coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and Wesley Livingston, a Cody resident, will face one misdemeanor count of trespassing and one count of "placing or depositing objects on to the property of another," otherwise known as littering.

Each charge is punishable by a fine of not more than $750, imprisonment for not more than six months, or both.

Ed Bangs, Western wolf recovery coordinator for the Fish and Wildlife Service, had not been notified Friday of the charges against his colleague, but said, "If that is how they are trying to pursue things legally, then we'll have to let the courts handle it."

"We have faith in the legal system to get the facts out," Bangs said.

According to Skoric, the charges were prompted by a complaint from Larsen Ranch Co. that ranch shareholder Randy Kruger saw Jimenez and Livingston tending to four tranquilized wolves on the property as he was driving down LU Ranch Road on Feb.14.

The men told him they did not know they were on private land, Kruger said, and that the wolves had been chased by helicopter from Dubois during a collaring exercise. They had been dropped off while the pilot went to refuel.

In the two months following the incident, the facts of the case were evaluated by the DCI, and according to Kruger, they found that their private property rights had been infringed upon.

"We need to establish the fact that we do have rights on our private property," Kruger said.

The incident touched off action outside the courtroom as well. In March, the Park County Board of Commissioners asked Sen. Mike Enzi's office to initiate a congressional inquiry into the matter. College students assisting Jimenez through Northwest College in Powell were pulled off their Fish and Wildlife Service internships out of concern for their safety.

The emotion surrounding the wolf question has blown the incident out of proportion, said Charles Preston, the founding curator of the Draper Museum of Natural History in the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. Preston has worked with Jimenez on several occasions and said that while he wasn't with Jimenez during the incident, the scientist has always "exhibited the highest integrity in his work."

"I think it's a shame and I hope this doesn't impair in any way our ability to manage wolves, because Mike (Jimenez) and others like him have been extremely vigorous in their efforts to collar wolves and help protect livestock across the state," Preston said.

But now the case expands from the court of the public opinion to a court of law.

"As in any criminal case, the charges filed are accusations by the prosecution of the defendants' conduct," said the Park County Attorney's Office press release. "The defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty."

Nemont,

Thanks for the update....

I hope the local Prosecutor spends a thousand hours of County time, preparing for this case. I hope he copies reams of paper, ties up his whole staff for months, and then the judge fines the scientist $25 plus $7.50 court costs.

It will be interesting to see who is the Defense attorney. Any of the Public Employees on this board have the answer? If you are charged with a crime in the course of performing your duties, are you provided an attorney?

EG,
I was wondering the same thing. I can't quite figure out how they can charge him with anything. I thought it was interesting that the guy charged is the one most concerned with limiting wolf predation on livestock. :( :( :( .

Hey Buzz again don't lump everyone in the same group ok ;)

Nemont

EG, I'm pretty sure he will be provided with an attorney by the government, since he was acting in an official capacity.

Nemont, I aint lumping anyone, its cases just like this, that dont do much to change the image or the cooperation between different groups.

What possible good can come from this for the rancher, the wolf, wolf recovery, or the USFWS with this action???

I wonder why ranchers get a bad rap????????????....I aint lumping anyone, its cases just like this, that dont do much to change the image or the cooperation between different groups.
If you had more then two sides of your face you could try to make more comments like those....

Ten, "If you had more then two sides of your face you could try to make more comments like those...."

Could you please try to re-write that so it makes some kinda sense? Wait 'til you're sober before attempting it.
:confused: :confused:

IT, if it helps, maybe you should drink MORE then you already do. I, for one, don't drink alcohol, or abuse any substances. Maybe you shouldn't either.
:D

Back