Unit 64 Wyoming Advice???

Jaycin

I'm a rookie elk hunter and just moved to Wyoming in August. I picked up a leftover cow tag for Unit 64. My buddy and I went out on opening day and hiked around the northeast corner of the unit. We saw 8 bulls throughout the course of the day but not a single cow. Does anyone have experience hunting in this area who might be willing to give me some advice? Thanks in advance!

Since it is a hard draw for bulls, probably not many guys have experience to lend. Usually, if you are not finding anything high, late in the season, you are well served to do what you intend.

When I am hunting a new place, I do just that. I start out low or high. If see nothing or no sign, then I do the opposite the following day. I keep hopping up and down in elevation until I find where the elk are at. It might take a few days to find them in a new area, but you will eventually see more sign at certain elevation, allowing you to formulate a confident strategy from there. Good luck.

Today's Hunt

Two experienced elk hunting friends and I headed out this morning for our second go at filling our cow tags. We arrived at the unit at daybreak and started glassing ridge lines from the truck. It wasn't long before we spotted 4 cows and a calf on the move atop a ridge up a draw about a mile away. We parked and watched them until they disappeared into a timber filled bowl. We headed in on foot and soon realized that stalking by stealth would be virtually impossible do to snow cover which had hardened into a crunchy crust. We opted for a speedy, aggressive pursuit and quickly made our way up to where we had lost sight of them. By the time we picked up their trail we figured they had a good half hour lead on us. Fortunately, they were easy to track so we picked up our pace and the chase was on in earnest. They led us on a 3 mile winding trek across wide open meadows, well established game trails, steep ridges, and dense timber. We were about to give them up for lost when the tracks suddenly changed direction and headed from a creek bed up a steep hillside and into some cedars. When we reached the top we could smell them and found very fresh sign. We knew we were close. The tracks took off down a ravine into more woods so two of us headed out to a clearing to see if we could catch them exiting the trees below while our partner moved further up toward the top of a ridge above. A few minutes later my buddy closest too me hissed my name and said "get over here!" Then I heard his cow call. By the time I got to him he was sighted in on one of four cows on the hillside 150 yards across from us. He fired his rifle and the last cow in line staggered as the other 3 bolted and vanished from view before I could find them in my scope. My buddy's target stumbled about 30 yards before falling on it's side, never to move again. A few seconds later our partner came down from his position and the celebration ensued! It was an awesome end to one heck of a fast paced hunt that lasted about 2 and a half hours. It was an experience that I'll never forget and I can't wait to get back out there and bag a cow of my own. I have to admit that by the time we quartered her and packed her out I was glad we only got one today!

Attachments

• 20141123.jpg
    20141123.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 696
It seems like the animals that we work the hardest for become the most memorable trophies. Congratulations on a trophy cow and good luck on the next one!

Thanks everyone! And good luck to you Deer Shooter! I'm probably not going to get another shot at filling my tag for a couple of weeks. I'm grateful for the long season.

Back