Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Unit 42 wyoming Antelope

duckhunt

Was looking at BLM maps and draw odds. I see units 42 and 43 get some attention but i dont see very much BLM or state ground. Am I missing something?

Are there large HMA's or walk-in units? I have not hunted those units but I have hunted nearby on leftover tags twice. The trophy quality was poor but there was plenty of opportunity.

Do your research now, for the walk-ins and HMAs! My biggest gripe with WY is the timing of when they publish the WIA/HMA info and the applications/draws. I've had good luck on a couple of HMAs in that part of the state. Just be sure to read the 'ranch rules' of all that you are looking into. Some have restrictions on which ones you can get slips for. Others have dates that don't allow you to hunt all the dates your tag is good for. IME, it's a very well run program.

Area 42 has very little public land but get a good map and gps and go hunting there are some great antelope to be had in that unit. just make sure you have a very good understanding of where you are at the major land owner in the unit is an a hole. and the G&F will back him no questions asked. :D

Area 42 has very little public land but get a good map and gps and go hunting there are some great antelope to be had in that unit. just make sure you have a very good understanding of where you are at the major land owner in the unit is an a hole. and the G&F will back him no questions asked. :D

Agree with mhungerford. The maps you can print off are decieving for sure (some are).

I normally hunt a unit that has it marked in the regs as not much public access (or something like that). With a good map and taking the time to actually look at it before the season, there is plenty of public land to hunt.

If you have a gps, and haven't already, throw down the $99 and get a wyoming state chip from huntinggpsmaps.com and as long as your there, get the google earth($40) or the hunt wyoming for basecamp ($50, haven't used it personally)

It is money well spent, I promise

Thanks for the info guys. Im thinking about trying units 9, 42, and 70 for the draw. Before I do that I need to run it by my buddies. We have one point each. Should we use that point to try and get into these units?

I've hunted unit and had a great time doing so. There are a fair amount of antelope but there is limited access besides the HMA's (walkin areas). The days we hunted there were not very many other hunters but conditions were wet and muddy. We did not hunt till around Oct. 10 if I remember correctly so we missed the early rush.

You're welcome Duck, as a fello easterner I kept thinking that you had better know about the "roads"... and that the ones on the maps don't mean squat once you get there. I guess I could expand on my short PM for others,... My point was that I poured over my maps and had a plan of a milk-run that I was going to drive and land I was going to check out. When I got there I realized I might as well have used all that planning time to weed my garden or dust the house or any other painful chore, because it did me no good. My advise is get in the truck in the AM and drive and see where the tires and animals lead you, and just learn as you go, because if you are like me and hadn't done it before the best classroom is in the sage!

Back