Caribou Gear Tarp

Understanding Uphill Shooting

Using a Leupold RX-100TBR Range finder set on TBR mode, useing a 270 WIN shooting 130 grain SST. The attached scope is a Leupold VX-2 3-9X50 with a custom turret built for my bullets and 2000' elevation at 60* temp average. I shot 500 yds. per my range finder on TBR mode at 30* upslope + or - after adjusting my scope turret to 500 yds. at a temp around 20*. I MISSED THREE TIMES. What likely happened?

Doesn't appear you comped for temp first off.
I don't remember if tbr is cosine only or the mode where you pick a ballistics curve but I only use cosine.
Third, did you shoot in your yardages and verify they matched the curve data you sent with your turret..

I'm sure I didn't comp for temp given I don't know what that's about.
I also don't know if tbr is cosine.
I did shoot a a flat range out to 500 yds and every shoot was right on.
I just think the temp might have had something to do with the miss and or maybe the

How much did you miss by?
What was LOS distance?
What was wind doing at the rifle and at the target?
Do you know if you missed high or low?

Do you have a level on your scope? How big of a target? A 40 degree temp difference at that distance shouldn't be too bad

I don't know how much I missed by or if I missed high or low given the area surrounding the ELK was tall grass.
I never checked the LOS because I thought I would be able to rely on the info I got from the range finder then dialing the scope to that info.
I don't remember there being much wind at all.
And I have no level on my scope.
I'm sounding like a novice shooter.
I now realize I need to find a place I can practice these type of shoots but I'm hoping to have starting info and an understanding of what happened.
Lastly I'm happy that I totally missed instead of wounding.

How many time had you shot at 500 prior to this?

Do yourself a favor and buy a bubble level for your scope. It's the best $60 you can spend. Trying to shoot distance without one will cause you nothing but headaches. Hang a plumb bob, line your reticle up with the plumb bob, and set your level. And please remember, just because you have a turret on your scope doesn't mean you have to use it...

Long range 400 yards or more I think a level would be very beneficial. Its easy to cant that just a few degrees and at that distance miss entirely.

Seconding the bubble level that sticks out from scope 2". Having the scope a tad bit off level to horizon will not mean much at 200 yards but you are shooting far enough the bullet impact can be inches.

Extreme angles can change your cheek position on the rifle stock and can magnify poor shooting form as move to get a full view through the scope by moving a bit closer or further from the scope than if were shooting on the level.

Temperature does change point of impact as does humidity and elevation. I note the conditions as sight in the rifle then adjust accordingly when reach the hunt. I generally shoot 3 bullets as arrive for hunt and if are a tight group left to right then may or may not adjust elevation. The temperature of the bullet can impact things so a bullet kept in the shirt pocket on a cold day will create a different amount of pressure than a cold powder.

Wind is the biggest factor to consider as are about to shoot then the other significant factors can be change in elevation and temperature from when sighted in.

I print out a chart and rubber band to my rifle stock that shows bullet drop, wind impact, elevation change impact, temp, humidity, etc. Fortunately, most my shots have been around 200 yards or less and have the ability to put crosshairs on center of mass by front shoulder and send a round down range.

When adjusting for wind, you use the actual distance the bullet flies rather than the horizontal distance. I figure you know that but wanted to add that as wind down this.

Was the tbr showing 500 with a 30 degree angle? Or was the 500 yards shoot to distance after correcting for the 30 degree angle? Sorry I'm not to familiar with the leupold tbr and how it works. Also what elevation were you hunting at?
As mentioned get a level and also I'd do a tall target test to assure your reticle is level and the scope is tracking correctly. Check your parallax also. Severe angles can cause many issues especially if your parallax and shooting form isn't solid and set.

I was wondering the same thing that cahunter805 is asking. If the op ranged 500 at 30 degrees then dialed 500, there's the problem. The RF should have given a corrected yardage. Get a scope level if you want, but if you only shoot 400 to 500 yards I'd save the money. mtmuley

Another suggestion is if someone is spotting for you as you shoot then have then directly behind you and often they can watch the vapor trail to impact which may not show any dust or movement on a miss. I also like to place a jacket over my head and the back half of the scope to help my eye dilate and make the scope view and cross hairs "crisper" on a long shot on a bright day.

Well I see I'm in the market for a level and several more boxes of ammo. Maybe even some class time.
Thanks for all the input guys. Having this forum to go to is priceless.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back