MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

U.S. says it will cut costs for clean energy projects on public lands

I am really curious to see how the nuclear plant being built in Wyoming goes.
It’s just down the road from me. There was quite a bit of activity there last summer/fall. Looked like mostly site engineering work based on the trucks and equipment. Been pretty quiet so far this year though.

I got it. We hire the people with the above degrees to go to every feedlot and pasture in the US with small vacuum machines collecting each and every cow fart. We burn the methane to create electricity. This solves the cow fart problem, the glow bull warming problem, the energy problem, and most of all, the useless degree having entitled kid that’s lived off mommy and daddy will have to get dirty and be someone of a benefit to society instead of a drag. I know this last sentence was very long, I don’t care.

You can keep the medal but I want my $1,000,000 for the Nobel prize. Thank you.

183,000acres… say a well pad is 4 acres…let’s put a single well on the pad…45,750… then let’s divide by 2 for your roads and lines etc…

22,875… so that’s the number of wells you could drill on that amount of acreage.

Say they produces 500barrels of oil a day each…

And you have 11.4MM barrels which is what the entire US produces a day.

And that’s some pretty ham fisted back of the napkining
Lol. 500 bbls/day average. That's nowhere close to reality.

Ok, maybe this is a dumb idea, but I'm going to throw it out anyways.

Why put these solar arrays on public lands, when there is more than enough "acreage" on top of people's houses? Seriously. The space is already there, no new development needed; they're already hooked into the electrical grid, so no new development there; not harming any wildlife habitat that hasn't already been screwed up; pay the lease money to the homeowner for added economic benefit. I agree, we do need investment in green energy, we can only run off fossil fuels for so long, but why do we need new development? I mean hell, I have a huge southern exposure on the roof of my house. If they want to pay for the panels, and install, and pay me a lease fee... let's roll.

Not exactly a fleshed out plan, probably doesn't work in the end, but i think its a better idea than NEW development.

Lol. 500 bbls/day average. That's nowhere close to reality.
The spread of production is really massive, OXY Silvertip 13H just IP'd at 7717 bbls/day, probably most of the wells in a more mature inventory are going to be in the 5-50 range. 🤷‍♂️

Midland/Delaware/SCOOP/STACK/DJ/Powder... etc are all going to be different. Also IP30 versus average for a year.

It's just a WAG...

The spread of production is really massive, OXY Silvertip 13H just IP'd at 7717 bbls/day, probably most of the wells in a more mature inventory are going to be in the 5-50 range. 🤷‍♂️

Midland/Delaware/SCOOP/STACK/DJ/Powder... etc are all going to be different. Also IP30 versus average for a year.

It's just a WAG...
IP's are the most useless stat in terms of production. Companies will literally open the well for 15 minutes and multiply by 96.

The other one that I was shocked to see in a DOE technology commercialization program I am in is Hydrogen. There are a lot of companies working on hydrogen technologies even though it's rarely discussed by consumers. Crazy $ going into Hydrogen right now

Probably out of my league here but here goes..

New Mexico recently had a Hydrogen hub development act fail to pass. the bill was written to show how NM can meet cleaner energy emmison goals by using Hydrogen as the main fuel source for energy production. however the bill did not have the framework to take into account the emmisons created in the production of the hydrogen itself. the vast majorty or the hydrogen production comes from extracting the hydrogen from natural gas. So while the hydrogen burns cleaner the bill did nothing to account for the extraction of the natural gas from the ground or the emmisons from the process of extracting the hydrogen from the natural gas.

I'm sure you know way more about developing technologies, but from my pov until they can come up with efficient tech to extract hydrogen from water or ways to capture all energy from extraction from the natural gas instead of venting were not really solving anything. The main source or energy still being natural gas.

I think I think with a lot of the green energy push we are putting the cart before the horse.

Our wells when they were first drilled 15 years ago came on around 300/day. Now they are around 50/day
The joys of decline curves, tech changes, and basin differences...

Bakken
(Spud date)
2006-2022, 12 month cum oil, average ~395 bbls/d
2016-2022 vintage, 12 month cum oil, average ~452 bbls/d
2016-2022 vintage, 6 month cum oil, average ~1644 bbs/d

2016- Present, 12 month cum oil.
165,271= 452bbls/d
1654288246397.png

2016-Present, 6month cum oil
107,863 = 599 bbls/d
1654288254441.png

Which I think more than anything makes the point that you have to keep drilling and expanding and creating more impact to produce oil. So it's not a set amount disturbance.

My original post was more meant to provide some context for what that amount of acreage means. Elon musk has floated 10,000 sq miles others 22k as what you would need to power the US with solar.

He acts like that's small... but my point above is that 183,000 is pretty staggering. The Elon number is flirting with the total amount of public land east of the Mississippi.

Oil and Gas is very problematic, but I think one is insane if they think doubling down on development of public lands is the answer.

Part of me wonders why we don't target abandoned/orphaned/ marginal well sites for solar... you could probably add thousands of acres of solar doing that...

Thousands of acres of currently disturbed landscapes where solar could be utilized. Many of these areas are located where the energy needs to end up.
I couldn’t agree more. Cover the beaches in solar panels and place the wind turbines to catch the ocean breezes in the shallow water. See how many Washington bureaucrats and Hollywood actors like them in their yards compared to having them ruin the landscapes amongst us peasants on the prairies. We don’t need power out here anyway. I got me a shotgun, rifle, and a four-wheel drive……… you know the rest.

Just some Info to add to the conversation.

I believe there is already around 100k oil wells on federal public land in the US of A. There have been various studies and analysis done to measure surface impacts in acres. Some specific to basins, some nationwide totals.

Back