Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Tyvek as a tarp?

Yep. I have used it in a tipi and it worked very well. I threw it in the washer and washed it, then in the dryer ( no heat) with two tennis shoes in with it. Softened it up nicely. Doesn't weigh much and I stayed dry putting it on top of snow.
Yes, Gritty said he machine washes his new Tyvek about 8 times to soften it. NO dryer, just machine wash to make it better.

I've used it on and off. DIY Tarps and factory bivys. The machine wash trick works. Haven't really been in any extreme weather with it, but I would pretty much compare it to silnylon in durability and weather proofness.

I like grommets so i use a tent footprint, i can use for just about anything and weighs very little(as light and more durable than most tarp i have used). The grommets allow for shelter rigging and even to tie together to make a extra layer on bad weather days (basically a cape...lol) but can really help with bad conditions.

Last edited:
I have been pondering a chunk of tyvek for a ground sheet or a tarp for boning out meat.

Think of it as a better option that using your tarp shelter for it. Less expensive to.

I have been pondering a chunk of tyvek for a ground sheet or a tarp for boning out meat.

Think of it as a better option that using your tarp shelter for it. Less expensive to.
Why? I have found the hide to work just fine.

I have done test camps set ups with tarps,tyvek,plastic,etc...just to see.
Found I was right to always have a full waterproof floor & a fly on my tents,my old poncho is still a lifesaver, a siltarp & Bivy work but are confining.
Have had luck with the light trial make do set ups for over nights ,a few times. Woke up soaked in the middle of the night in my tyvek wikiup,and it ended a weekend trip quick. No storms in forecast too....LOL.

Personally these days I will wake tired but comfortable in my tent.

Back