Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tule Elk Archery Bull

LonePine!!! I'm shocked and walking on air...I grew up over in the Owens Valley, so a dream come true!

Congrats, I am from Bridgeport and I know how many and how big the bulls are there. Have a great trip and enjoy the once in a lifetime tag.

Congrats! Getting a chance to hunt a tule is about the only decent reason I can come up with for living in CA.

I can't wait for the day that opportunity finally comes for me. Congrats on the draw, get after it.

This guy was just 20 minutes outside of San Jose.

Picture093-1.jpg

Picture091-1.jpg

Picture092-1.jpg

I was watching a program a couple months ago and they explained one of the largest herds is actually on an Army installation. Is that where you'll be hunting? It seemed like a pretty easy way to punch that tag you've been waiting you're entire life for so it will definitely pay off if that's where you're headed.

Congrats on a great tag. These were 100 yards from the Pacific ;) Probably one of the neater things I have seen. Totally unexpected.

CraterLakeRedwoodTrip2007204.jpg

I was watching a program a couple months ago and they explained one of the largest herds is actually on an Army installation. Is that where you'll be hunting? It seemed like a pretty easy way to punch that tag you've been waiting you're entire life for so it will definitely pay off if that's where you're headed.

That is Ft. Hunter Liggett, great hunting from what I hear, I've never made it down there. They open the base on weekends and certain "units" within the base. It is a great place to hunt hogs as well. There are a couple of challenges though in that unless you hunt it regurlarly it's hard to learn the area since you can't get in just to scout. Closure of certain units can be challenging as well, just like a pubic/private fenceline.

In general success rates for Elk in CA are extremely high because of such a small amount of tags. The FHL tags are right in line with those rates as well, generally it is 100% success.

I'm curious to see how antler growth is this year. We had a very dry winter, so much so that some friends of mine had to feed their cattle in February for the first time ever. But, we got some late rains and had a cool spring so the feed hung around long enough for the cattle to put on weight before they got shipped out. Hopefully this is the case with antler growth on deer/elk as well.

Congrats! Getting a chance to hunt a tule is about the only decent reason I can come up with for living in CA.

LoL! That's about it...If I can ever draw a Sheep tag, that gives me all three (3) and I can bail...:D Thanks again guys!

Here's some more Tule's, not my unit but they'll do...I'll post up scouting trips as I go along!

Attachments

• Tule Bulls (2).jpg
    Tule Bulls (2).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 575
With the golf course and all the ranches in the area there should be no issue with antler growth. I have driven through there a ton of times on my way to LA to visit family,Disneyland, six flags etc. There are some really nice sized bulls in the unit. If they are located on the ranch's you can usually ask for permission to hunt the ranch. They will usually allow it from the people I know that have had the tags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back