Caribou Gear

Trichinosis & bear meat.

Sytes

I think Steve dealt with a case of this in the past year. Its a good article. I am doing some reading right now before I commit to my first ever lack bear hunt in MN. I want to make sure I will enjoy the meat before I have the opportunity to put one on the ground. I dont want to kill it just for the hide.

I don't know how I missed this the first time. Great read!! Gerald's roast was friggin amazing, as was Randy's sausage gravy. Bear meat can be very good when done right. I was talking with Dave the other day about processing a bear and it makes sense that steaks were kind of a waste since they have to be cooked well done. I think I would do a lot of roasts and different sausages if I got one. I want to try corning a roast as well. I think some bear in the smoker might be good too.

Yup, Steve and a few of his buddies got trichinosis from a bear they shot in Alaska recently. They were cooking it over a fire on a cold, wet day and finally said "good enough." They were wrong. I was listening to a podcast over the weekend where he was talking about it and it was pretty entertaining. He said his wife gave him a hard time about the "Meat Eater" giving himself trichinosis.

I've had bear once or twice and found it very tasty. I wouldn't mind having a bunch in my freezer.

I think Steve dealt with a case of this in the past year. Its a good article. I am doing some reading right now before I commit to my first ever lack bear hunt in MN. I want to make sure I will enjoy the meat before I have the opportunity to put one on the ground. I dont want to kill it just for the hide.

You are correct. Steve and some of his crew contracted Trichinosis from a black bear they ate in the field in the episode with Roark Denver. Steve said it started to rain pretty hard before the bear meet was cooked enough to kill Trichinosis. Doesn't actually require that high of an internal temp, but still bloody is NOT hot enough.

Best tasting stew I've ever had. My wife actually LIKED it when I got mine.

After watching that episode of Meat Eater my wife says she will never ever eat bear meat under any circumstances. Guess I won't be hunting bears.

Follow the chart, dealing with trichinella spiralis is actually very easy.

Trichinella spiralis is killed in 47 minutes at 52° C (125.6° F), in 6 minutes at 55° C (131° F), and in < 1 minute at
60° C (140° F)

There is a much more comprehensive chart out there that discusses even lower cooking temps so long as a long enough cooking time is used. I believe instacure No. 1 also kills it too if you are making charcuterie.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/trichinae/docs/fact_sheet.htm

Back