Traumatizing fish

That last picture belongs in another thread.
That's the door to my childhood room from 6-19 obviously I was going through some stuff 😅. Now I just keep a ton of overflow gear in it still my damn room.

PS: I'd show a picture of the other side put it might get me banned.

Trauma is a pretty big word, and a bit overused IMO. Fish experience physical trauma for sure, but certainly not psychological trauma.

i don't believe they have the nervous system to experience pain the way mammals do

I am unsure of just exactly how a fish experiences pain. Surely, a dog would stop eating its treats pretty quickly if a huge hook punctured its jowls when it took a bite. Fish don't seem to learn as fast. Is that a function of how they experience pain, or are their instincts to bite too strong, or memories too short to be conditioned the way a dog would? It may be pure agony, but they just can't help it. A biologist might surely have a more informed answer.

For me, I am pretty convinced that being caught is not a pleasant experience. I certainly value the lives of fish and game. When fishing, I do my best to ensure a quick catch and release. Once a fish is on the line, I have a bit of timer in my head that starts counting. (Admittedly too fast sometimes as I may do something dumb and lose the fish in my impatience.) I do feel badly when it's not a clean C&R. I try to analyze a bit and correct what I think I did wrong. But sometimes it's the damn fish's fault for gobbling down the hook so fast!

I still fish though, obviously. If I am being perfectly honest I just don't value their experience the same as, say, a mammal. I am comfortable with that.

Also, found this on the internet.

animals-psychiatrist-shrink-couch-fishes-memories-rnin2258_low.jpg

This one is pretty great.

fisherman-lays-on-couch-at-psychiatrists-office-mick-stevens.jpg

Trauma is a pretty big word, and a bit overused IMO. Fish experience physical trauma for sure, but certainly not psychological trauma.

I am unsure of just exactly how a fish experiences pain. Surely, a dog would stop eating its treats pretty quickly if a huge hook punctured its jowls when it took a bite. Fish don't seem to learn as fast. Is that a function of how they experience pain, or are their instincts to bite too strong, or memories too short to be conditioned the way a dog would? It may be pure agony, but they just can't help it. A biologist might surely have a more informed answer.

For me, I am pretty convinced that being caught is not a pleasant experience. I certainly value the lives of fish and game. When fishing, I do my best to ensure a quick catch and release. Once a fish is on the line, I have a bit of timer in my head that starts counting. (Admittedly too fast sometimes as I may do something dumb and lose the fish in my impatience.) I do feel badly when it's not a clean C&R. I try to analyze a bit and correct what I think I did wrong. But sometimes it's the damn fish's fault for gobbling down the hook so fast!

I still fish though, obviously. If I am being perfectly honest I just don't value their experience the same as, say, a mammal. I am comfortable with that.

Also, found this on the internet.

animals-psychiatrist-shrink-couch-fishes-memories-rnin2258_low.jpg

This one is pretty great.

fisherman-lays-on-couch-at-psychiatrists-office-mick-stevens.jpg

I feel similarly. It's been a while since my biology courses, but I don't think fish have the cognitive ability of mammals.

Like everything else though, I think it's good to try to not be a d/ck about it. If I'm releasing the fish I want it to go on and survive. I don't feel bad if one doesn't make it though.

I feel similarly. It's been a while since my biology courses, but I don't think fish have the cognitive ability of mammals.

Like everything else though, I think it's good to try to not be a d/ck about it. If I'm releasing the fish I want it to go on and survive. I don't feel bad if one doesn't make it though.
Yep, I try to be easy on the fish just to have less impact on the resource. I’m not worried about the fish being traumatized, but I am worried about lots of people handling them like crap when the water temps are too warm and killing a ton of them.

Good comments.
People's interpretation of physical trauma connects the phrase with also feeling pain.
I do think a fish can have physical trauma ...as in, if left out of water , it will die. Maybe a more precise term is bodily trauma.

Never crossed my mind fish having psychological trauma or fear. Seems ridiculous. But if someone plans on releasing fish, I think doing whatever necessary to ensure the well being of the fish should be first and foremost.
I'm trying to be better with keeping the fish in the water, quick picture, revive and release. ALWAYS wet hands before handling.

Can't argue with this, it's wasteful to not do it if you're not going to kill the thing. On the busy rivers around here the number of hero shots I see taking place is about a 1:1 ratio to the number of dead trout laying on the bottom.

Last edited:
Can't argue with this, it's wasteful to not do it if you're not going to kill the thing. On the busy rivers around here he number of hero shots I see taking place is about a 1:1 ratio to the number of dead trout laying on the bottom.
Pretty much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back