Training material

BunkerBean

I have a new GSP pup coming around April fools. What kind of training material do you guys use or recommend? Books? Videos?

I'd sure advise you join the Shorthair club and spend some time with them.
They'll get you pointed in the right direction. Tho I have not looked recently I'm sure there are some great DVDs around. To start just let the pup be a pup. You can work on some very basic commands, NO, HERE etc. Most pointer people I've known over the years don't use near the commands that retriever people use. Get a wing on a fishing rod and let the pup chase & point (never allowing the pup to catch the wing).
Have fun, I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice.
WD

Thanks for the advice. Just so people have an idea what my goal is with the dog. Finished I would like him to be steady to wing-shot-fall.

May want to get the book GUN DOG by Richard A. Wolters. Get it before you get the dog and have a game plan on what to do when the dog shows up.

I'd sure advise you join the Shorthair club and spend some time with them.
The Idaho shorthair & brittany clubs (which are both open to all pointing breeds, btw) run a summer training series. If interested, they can help you accomplish what you want. I was at a few of the sessions last summer and the guys are all friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The picnic hunt tests are going on now every weekend of Feb if you want to get out and meet a few of the folks.

http://www.gspcidaho.org/schedule_of_events.htm

Good luck!

Great. I would like to meet you guys and pick your brains about training. I thought of coming to one of the monthly meetings.

Tough to beat a good GSP!

Read "Gun Dog" several times before the pup arrives and train consistently. Get the dog out in the field A LOT. Don't forget to continue training during the 1st season. You'll have a dog that's hard wired for birds.

TBone one thing I didn't do with my French Brit after his first season last year was continue training. How do I restart him right again? I was thinking buying 10 or so Bobwhites and just huntin over him in the desert.

Start with the basic obedience training. Work into the hunting scenarios only when you have control of the dog.

Years ago, I was active in NAVHDA. The chapters in both the Bay area and So Cal were very active, with monthly training sessions in the field. There was a book by Sigbot Winterhelt and a man named Bailey I believe that was very good. Short but full of info. If there is a NAVHDA chapter in your area, check them out.

http://shop.dogsunlimited.com/item.asp?n=bk-144&d=47&b=1

Having gone through a few shorthairs back then, I learned the hard way. First dog - too much training and too dependent on me. I had to take her out at night in fenced school yards, follow her in the field, etc. to build her independence. Second dog - very little obedience training as a puppy, but lots of birds and she was so birdy that she was too out of control for me. I gave her to a friend who was a professional trainer, and she ended up being a winner on the Shoot to Retrieve circuit...

Last dog - whoa, sit, stay and come were taught early. (I used the training table as outlined in the book, above.) Lots of time in the field to run as a puppy and I trapped a lot of pigeons to use in training her, as I had with the other dogs. I kept whole quail frozen to use in training during the off-season. Let them thaw a bit, lay trails for her to follow by rubbing the bird on the ground, leaving a few feathers there and draggin the bird on a string for 20-50 yards. (The partially frozen bird is cold and hard inside so it helps the dog learn not to bite down on a retrieved bird...

Whoa is the most important command in my opinion. It establishes your control over the dog and helps when teaching staunchness on point and steadiness to wing, shot, etc.

I love them. Mine were always a handful, though - unending energy. Nothing beat watching one of them running full speed through a field and coming to a screeching halt in mid-air, already at a point!

Or having Auli get a faceful of skunk spray and pointing two pheasants on the way back to the truck.

BB, have had a couple GSP, and the main thing you have to remember about these dogs are they are full of non stop energy, and they are about as hard headed as they come. also, they mature physically within a year or less. but they don't catch up mentally for about two years. patience is going to be your best bet. but once you have the pup trained, you'll love it. beautiful dogs. as others have said, start with the basic obedience stuff, and then work in the hunting aspects.

Yeah I have a French Brit. I know about the non stop energy. Maverick is not hard headed though.

Should be fun with the new pup

Bunker Bean
I just got a German wire hair and have never trained a bird dog either .
He is 18 Months old I got him yesturday. if you need some one to go out and train with I would be willing.

Back