MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Townsend Slaughter...Rebuttle?

TRS_Montana

Pretty new to the forum, but I have been reading a few threads on the mindless incidents that have occurred around Townsend. I read this in the Bozeman Chronicle and thought I would share it.

Here is a response from long-time hunters in the Canyon Ferry area to the accusations associated with the elk "hunting" shenanigans that occurred around Canyon Ferry this year.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...top&utm_source=block_484715&utm_campaign=blox

While I agree with their general complaints against the landowners, are they really trying to say that what happened (two times this year!) is justified because they don't have access to private land??

Another point related to these ethics issues is that EVERY year, there are similar situations on the opening weekend of antelope season throughout MT. Hunters will congregate wherever there is visible game on public land and just do not think! Yet, I have never seen these incidents receive the attention that the elk do. Why do you guys think this is?

These are some pretty serious accusations that probably need investigated further.

That being said, there isn't really an excuse for the incidents.

You know what, we all were bussed to Helena to rally for public lands, stream access, and also corner crossing. Maybe it is time to go up there and rally against landowners hazing animals to keep them on their property. Many times the actions are blatant. I know Ben Lamb has been the victim of blatant acts to keep deer from crossing to his location. The problem needs more exposure, especially if the head of the F&G committee is doing it.

There are always more than two sides to any story! Any type of game harassment is wrong, especially when the guns start going off into a herd. You can see the result in that cow that will die a miserable death that the shooter who did it should also suffer!

Whether or not the landowners were hazing elk or not who knows, but I previously worked on a ranch and would always hear rumors that elk were being hazed back on, when in reality it never happened.

I would bet that people who "saw the Flynn and FWP wardens hazing elk" are probably the same ones who "saw a 400 inch bull" and "saw nothing but wolf tracks while elk hunting"

The rebuttal doesn't make sense. Even if everything they're claiming is true, it doesn't justify illegal and unethical practices to kill elk.

It is interesting how no one talks about the Antelope s**t show, it happens every year in the same spots.

There are always more than two sides to any story! Any type of game harassment is wrong, especially when the guns start going off into a herd. You can see the result in that cow that will die a miserable death that the shooter who did it should also suffer!

It wasn't the shooter's fault. My cousin was there and said everyone set up with Rem 700's with Walker triggers. When they flipped off their safeties, the guns all discharged into the herd, killing and wounding several elk.

We have that exact same problem right here with a local landowner that patrols up and down the road to keep deer from crossing off his land. He does it pretty much every evening during deer season and because it's a highway I suppose it's pretty hard to prove his intent.

It wasn't the shooter's fault. My cousin was there and said everyone set up with Rem 700's with Walker triggers. When they flipped off their safeties, the guns all discharged into the herd, killing and wounding several elk.

What a douchebag! Keep it in PMs and quit showing yourself for what you are out here on the Forums!!!

We have that exact same problem right here with a local landowner that patrols up and down the road to keep deer from crossing off his land. He does it pretty much every evening during deer season and because it's a highway I suppose it's pretty hard to prove his intent.

That totally sucks, but good God, if someone wants to spend their time like that, then let them. Life's too short, IMO.

You know what, we all were bussed to Helena to rally for public lands, stream access, and also corner crossing. Maybe it is time to go up there and rally against landowners hazing animals to keep them on their property. Many times the actions are blatant. I know Ben Lamb has been the victim of blatant acts to keep deer from crossing to his location. The problem needs more exposure, especially if the head of the F&G committee is doing it.

By James Cox Kennedy no less.

I forgot to mention that I solved the problem for myself by hunting on the same side of the road on the neighbors land. However, it does suck for those guys across the road.

Sounds like roadhunters need to get more creative in these parts. This is a perfect setting for the WOLF-MOBILE.

I think it's a sad state of affairs. I see both sides. I'm not sure what I would do if I owned a big place. Would I allow a bunch of people I didn't know access? I don't know. The guys stuck with trying to pull an elk from an ever shrinking piece of property are frustrated. I've seen the same thing in the Breaks. We just find a way to hunt somewhere else so that doesn't affect us. I've hunted a lot of different country in Montana over the years. One thing that never changes is that nothing stays the same. I think if I lived in the area I would just find a different place to hunt. In a few years that situation will change and it might get good again.

I am not sure how I feel about the landowners and their tactics. I personally don't have any experience with that or knowledge of anyone hazing animals, but I have a hard time finding empathy for non-disabled people who complain about anything when they are hunting along a road. There is a LOT of public land in MT with a lot of elk on it. Just get out and hike a little.

I'm unsure if what the guys in the article are saying is or isn't true but it is odd that their "defense" to the public seems to be if you think what we're doing is bad, you ought to see what the landowners are doing rather than saying they didn't do anything illegal or unethical. Uh huh. "I know you are but what am I?"

Back