Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Took a Walk up a Mountain

Gerald Martin

Showed Theat a new spot in Montana that he hadn't hunted before. That was a feat in and of itself.

Saw some bulls. Climbed a mountain after them. Waited all afternoon. Big bulls didn't come out before dark. Shot these bulls instead. Packed out Travis's bull first. Came back for my bull.

Dinkshooter might call us "Crybaby Montanans" but his little Supersaurus can't cover up an elk like this. Thankfully, the bear heard us coming and didn't challenge us for the elk. Even though we didn't see him in the thick cover, I'm sure he was out there listening. By all appearances he had only found the elk that morning. We were able to recover all but about 40lbs of boned out meat that he had eaten.

After Travis had an accidental deployment of the pepper spray while helping me load a front quarter into the pack, any doubt about whether bear spray is potent or not was erased. I have no qualms about stopping a grizzly charge with pepper spray if I can get it deployed. Thankfully, neither of us took a direct hit.

Other than the grizzly and 70-80 mph gusts of wind that nearly took our wall tent off the frame, it was a pretty routine hunt. Didn't even suffer any chafing of the inner thighs, although sitting on a metal forest service campground toilet rim in 15 degree temperatures surely qualifies as death defying.

Got to see a nice buck on private land that knew he was safe.

Attachments

• DSCN2659.jpg
    DSCN2659.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 1,671
  • Gerald and Travis elk hunt 061.jpg
    Gerald and Travis elk hunt 061.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 1,673
  • DSCN2705.jpg
    DSCN2705.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 1,683
  • DSCN2725.jpg
    DSCN2725.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 1,676
  • DSCN2736.jpg
    DSCN2736.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 1,712
  • DSCN2742.jpg
    DSCN2742.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 1,690
  • DSCN2758.jpg
    DSCN2758.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 1,689
Someone needs to tell that bear it should be denned up already!

Congrats on a couple nice bulls.

Looks like a nice breezy day to be out. Congrats.

Looks cold to me. Nice bulls! Is that first one missing some hair, or is it just the picture?

Congrats on a great hunt. Glad you didn't have to deal with Mr. Grizz face to face.

Is that first one missing some hair, or is it just the picture?

Definitely missing a lot of hair. Seems to be a common skin condition in this area. You could grab chunks of hair and pull them out by the roots. Maybe someone knows what causes this? Mine had it too, but not as bad.

Congrats to both of you. Never any lack of excitement when you guys are in the mountains. Glad it did not get more exciting with the bear.

Those photos make me feel cold! Great job on a couple of nice bulls and I'm glad neither of you got to find out how truly potent bear spray is. Lots of memories made on that hunt!

That's a nice result for a Walk up a Mountain.

Regarding bear spray........it seems like it's like American Express Card says.....don't leave home without it.......and keep it on safe!

Last edited:
When I grow up I want to be Gerald Martin.

Looks like an awesome couple days.

Definitely missing a lot of hair. Seems to be a common skin condition in this area. You could grab chunks of hair and pull them out by the roots. Maybe someone knows what causes this? Mine had it too, but not as bad.

I think the hair loss is from scabies. Its widespread although I wouldn't call it common. Its a problem going into winter because the hair loss leaves the animals more susceptible to colder temps.

Patrick

I think the hair loss is from scabies. Its widespread although I wouldn't call it common. Its a problem going into winter because the hair loss leaves the animals more susceptible to colder temps.

Patrick

It also apparently leaves them susceptible to Noslers too.

I'll agree with others, looks cold, yuck! Congrats on the bulls and on dodging worse bear issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back