Too wet?

eddytheeagle

Went scouting this week in northern Colorado and found several flat meadows high on eastern slopes with very marshy vegetation. They were 5-25 acres in size and around 10,000 feet. I ran into a moose in one of them, but would I expect to find elk in something so wet during rifle season?

Attachments

• D55A8D42-AEA2-4616-AAA8-942474102E73.jpeg
    D55A8D42-AEA2-4616-AAA8-942474102E73.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 16
Elk Rifle season is a long way away. Much can change. The big question is did you find any sheds, elk sign old or new, how much, rubs old or new, bedding areas, elevation and so on. If so then it is pretty obvious elk spend time in there it's just a matter of "at what time of year?" Year long cameras can be a huge help for this situation if you have the ability to do this. Have you done any e-scouting of the overall area? This can also give you a good idea of things like surrounding game trails, water holes, possible areas of sanctuary based time of year. So much to consider if you have never hunted the area. Sometimes all the scouting in the world can only paint a picture and give you a solid educated guess. I really love yearly game cams for a new area but truly understand most people just don't have the time that I have to deal with them as an early retiree and full time outdoorsman so all the things I mention are clues that will give you a solid educated guess. Sometimes it's purely about getting out there during season and doing the work.

If you are looking for bulls I would "generally say" open meadows during rifle season would not be where I would look. Think sanctuary, security and feed.

Either sex tag, and yes found tons of sign. Shit, tracks, rubs but no sheds. We(my brother and I) did a bunch of e-scouting and went to 6 areas that we pinpointed beforehand. The biggest problem we ran into was the mountains aren’t very steep and we could not find hardly any short to long range range glassing opportunities In the majority of the unit. the higher up meadows were super wet and very flat in what seemed like natural springs.

This will only be our second year hunting elk.... Since we’re so green and 1,000 miles from our unit we’re trying to be reasonable with our expectations. Figuring it will probably be easier to #1 hunt the same unit to become familiar #2 hunt in first rifle so we don’t have to deal with mule deer hunters and #3 picked an either sex tag unit that can be drawn with 1 point that we’re alternating who has a tag every year so we‘re guaranteed drawing the tag #4 since it’s either sex a cow will more than fill the freezer.

There are so many questions we have, but a majority can only be had with first hand experience in the woods...

Attachments

• 954A336F-F049-4915-9219-5CD619A7082C.jpeg
    954A336F-F049-4915-9219-5CD619A7082C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Either sex tag, and yes found tons of sign. Shit, tracks, rubs but no sheds. We(my brother and I) did a bunch of e-scouting and went to 6 areas that we pinpointed beforehand. The biggest problem we ran into was the mountains aren’t very steep and we could not find hardly any short to long range range glassing opportunities In the majority of the unit. the higher up meadows were super wet and very flat in what seemed like natural springs.

This will only be our second year hunting elk.... Since we’re so green and 1,000 miles from our unit we’re trying to be reasonable with our expectations. Figuring it will probably be easier to #1 hunt the same unit to become familiar #2 hunt in first rifle so we don’t have to deal with mule deer hunters and #3 picked an either sex tag unit that can be drawn with 1 point that we’re alternating who has a tag every year so we‘re guaranteed drawing the tag #4 since it’s either sex a cow will more than fill the freezer.

There are so many questions we have, but a majority can only be had with first hand experience in the woods...

Either sex tag with what you have found could be doable. Weather is the next big thing you should pay attention to. Snow in the upper elevations would be good during season (heavy snow would be better). Being 1000 miles away doesn't help with your scouting opportunities but if you have a good hunch and plenty of sign you have a good start and a chance elk are in the area at some point during the season (Sept - Nov and beyond). I have spent some time out of state and even in my home state from time to time blind hunting a unit, and just trusting my instincts and it has worked out. Ive also drawn big blanks. I would say to have an alternate and even 2nd alternate plan. If this is where you want to start and feel good about your hunch, start but if you don't see animals, fresh sign quickly during season I would move on to your alternate and plan on moving again if it doesn't pan out. Be willing to plan on mobility and set camp with mobility in mind. I don't know your logistics (tenting, packing in, RV, ATV's, bikes and so on) so plan your trip with mobility and most of all fun in mind. Don't get to hung up on one specific area and be willing to bounce a little. Maybe a base camp with a couple small spike camps in 1st/2nd alternate areas that you can hunt out of for multiple days at a time. We actually still do this in an a large area we hunt yearly during Sept. Just because animals are there in Sept. this year does not mean they will be there next. Weather plays a very big role as well as timing of the rut and various other things like predators and so on. Be flexible and mobile.

This is the most exciting thing about Elk hunting for me (The planning). Ive been hunting Elk in the NW for over 30years and learn something new almost every year. Stay at it. No such thing as a perfect elk hunter, just an experienced one. Unfortunately the only way to become experienced is to do what you're doing year in and year out. Advice can only take you so far. None of it is rocket science and it's not an elitist sport regardless of what some people may portray in forums and various media outlets. Anyone can become an experience elk hunter. It just requires a little time. You have the right attitude about it. Don't take yourselves to serious and things will fall in place. Like anything else in life the more you practice the better you get.

I say go with your gut and hunt the area you feel is gonna produce. If it's a dud you win (knowledge). If it produces you win (meat in the freezer & knowledge)!

Back