PEAX Equipment

Too much gun

You should read Use Enough Gun, by Robert Ruark. One of my favorites.

"You can't kill something too dead."

Like I posted earlier, not much chance that someone is going to make me change my mind about using my old standard. But, would love to hear what any of you use.

Thanks for all the input.

Elk are big tough animals and i have never seen one get blown up with a big rifle. They are very dense. I have been hunting them lately with a .338 LM. Doesn't blow them up amd they never go too far

I shoot a 7 mag. I've only killed deer and antelope with it but I hope to get an elk this season. I don't think you can have too much gun as long as the recoil doesn't cause you to flinch. I'm going to pick up a 6.5 creedmoor for antelope just because i need an excuse for another gun. I wouldn't mind getting a 300 wsm in the future.

I say shoot what you like and let the naysayers shoot what they like. That is the great thing about having options. There is something for everyone.

One year I used my .340 Weatherby loaded with 250 gr Nosler Partitions for moose, elk, bear, deer and antelope. They all fell, tipped over nicely with a very minimum of damaged meat. Did I over kill them?
How could I tell? GJ

Last edited:
They're fools. Sure, there is a legitimate argument for other calibers for different species, but the .300 Win is an excellent all around cartridge.

A common misconception is that the larger calibers ruin more meat than a lighter caliber. My experience has been exactly the opposite. High velocity and frangible bullets is what wastes meat, not necessarily bore size. If you shoot the gun well then you can't have too much gun. Several years ago, I sold my .325 WSM and switched to a 30-06 due to the cost of ammunition. I like paying $40 for a box of good ammo vs. $70, but miss the confidence that came when I sent a 200 grain Accubond towards an elk. Accuracy trumps power in a hunting situation, but if you have accuracy and power then you have the perfect rifle.

I am in the same boat as the OP. Other than being heavy mine is my go-to every year. Not fun shooting at paper to make sure it is dialed in, but I don't feel the recoil when it is time to put the hammer down. Once in awhile guys have come through our camp and have commented about it being too much gun for somebody my age and too heavy. As others have said, "If it works for you it works".

I've tracked a bull shot by another hunter with a 7 mag half the night and half the next day before we found him, still alive, at a spring. He was weak at that point and the shooter finished him off. It was a hard quartering on shot that broke a shoulder, but didn't get much penetration. When I killed a 360" bull, DRT, with my 300 WBY, I didn't say, "I wish I had shot at him with a lighter caliber". This past deer season in Louisiana, battling a strong cross wind, I killed a mature whitetail buck at 476 yards with the same 300 WBY. On the long walk down there to him, I didn't say, "I wish I had shot at him with a lighter caliber".
They key is to be able to shoot well, regardless of caliber. If you can't shoot the mag well, use something else. It usually comes down to time at the range with any caliber.

Too much gun, too little gun. I've tired of the online debates.

Shoot what you shoot well, shoot often at the range to shoot less in the field and have fun.

Wish guys were this enthusiastic about a question about a units access points or good camping locations etc.........

Hope all good luck in the feild and on the range.

Whatever you shoot! Thanks to all that posted .

300 win isn't too much gun for elk. It probably wouldn't be my first choice for whitetail or pronghorn but god knows there is plenty of people who use it. As everyone said, if you shoot it well...who cares.

For as many annoying people there are that say " that's too much gun" there is an equally annoying group who think that anything without magnum in the name is for pussies.

The best caliber is hands down the one you can drive tacks with they all kill well if the shot is where it's needed.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back