Tired of boots that won't last

dwlane

I have been hunting, mule deer, elk, and upland birds for over thirty years and I still have not been able to find a pair of boots that will last a season.
Under $100 pair of boots last as well as over $200 pair of boots. This year I have already worn out a pair. I typically opt for lighter weight hiker styles and maybe that is my problem. Heavy duty boots usually are heaver and I don't last as long in the field with them on. It is not unusual for me to cover ten to twenty miles in a day. I have found if the boot does not fit when I initially put it on, I will have problems with my feet.
Any suggestions?

Kenetreks or Schnees boots are great. Kenetreks now makes a lighter style hiking boot I'd really like to try. I think its called the Bridger Ridge runner? I may be wrong on that name, but I've been through a pair of their mountain extremes and they are well worth the money.

Buy once, cry once. If I was looking at a pair of boots right now I would look at Kenetrek, Lowa, Schnee's Hanwag, Scarpa, and possibly Crispi.

Buy once, cry once. If I was looking at a pair of boots right now I would look at Kenetrek, Lowa, Schnee's Hanwag, Scarpa, and possibly Crispi.

X2 They may be heavier but you'll get used to it eventually and they will last much longer than the ones you have been using.

Whites and Hathorn boots made in Spokane Washington are both very good. Hoffman boots out of Kellog Idaho are also very good! USA MADE

Yup.

Love my Kennetrek hard scrabble hikers. Use them until the last week or so of the hunting season when it turns super-cold.

I had a pair from Cabelas I bought in highschool. They lasted me for 8 years paid about $190 if I remember right. They still were functional but would leak and lost ankle support. I haven't tried any of the other brands mentioned above but will soon invest in a higher end pair.

+1 Kennetrek. They will be the next pair I buy. I usually get new boots every three seasons or so. I have been doing a ton of research and love that I'm gonna support a Montana company.

My kennetrecks only lasted me a yearand the sole at the toe wore through. I did wear tthem almost every day for a year. They were so comfortable that I made them my work boots. Just sent them off to get new soles put on. I also bought another pair that will be strictly hunting boots and the old will be work boots. The soles do wear fast on kenetreks.

Ditto the Lowas,Kenetrek,Schnees,Lathrop....etc.Quality mid to heavy hiking style boots work best for most hunting.
I have Lowa Tibets,Kenetrek Griz. Pacs & Meindels. I only wear them hunting or scouting.
Some Danner Cascades from old job are my work boots. 2 pairs, I have resoled many times.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, keep adding your two cents. I have tried Danners, Timberland Pro, Keene, Red Wings, Cabelas, Hi-Tec, along with many others. Hi-Tec are the cheapest of them all, and have held up just as well if not better than the other brands I have tried. Whites have been on my mind since Spokane is near, I believe you can have a custom pair made there. From the posts above, I need to take a look at the Kennetrecks.

I love my zamberlans. I never could get the kenetreks mountain extreme to work for me. After one year I was still getting heel blisters.

Anyway picked up the zamberlans outfitter 980 gtx and I've never had a blister

I have a blister problems are easily solved with duck tape. I put it on before I start to hike and I have no problems. If I start to develop a warm spot I stop and apply duck tape to that area. Duck tape has saved my feet many times.

I have a blister problems are easily solved with duck tape. I put it on before I start to hike and I have no problems. If I start to develop a warm spot I stop and apply duck tape to that area. Duck tape has saved my feet many times.

I always used to use duct tape, and it worked well enough. The problem is that you can't get it to go on perfectly smooth on your heel and my feet sweat bad enough that sometimes it works it's way off. It was always better than nothing though. Then, last year, my dad got a roll of this stuff...
https://www.amazon.com/Leukotape-1-5-Inch-15-Yds-Cover-roll-Stretch/dp/B000FMMTKM
I will never use duct tape again. This stuff goes on smooth, sticks like super glue, creates the same slippery surface that duct tape does to mitigate the rubbing that causes blisters, and unlike duct tape, this stuff breathes. Try it!

Back