MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Tips... How much ?

I know outfitters who say, you don't need to tip the guides, its not necessary. Those are more on the up and up to me, like they say, its more like real hunting then.

Tom -
From my experience 'not tipping guides' would be very unusual. Never ran into any outfitter that said that.

Also - The notion of tipping a few extra bucks for the guide to put you on a big one doesn't hold much water. Heck, when you pay the outfitter to start with isn't that pretty much every hunters intention? That is why you pay outfitters, to put you in game rich areas that hold quality animals.
I just don't see much of what you are saying, happening. You might hit your guide with a big fat tip afterwards, if he did a good job and if you scored on a real trophy, but in fair chase hunting there is no guarantee. Unless the client is a real butt head, I believe most guides will do their darndest to get their hunters on a quality animal without any mention of tips.

Probably the states that liscense guides and outfitters have rules about it too, what are they?

Some states required public hunter tags for private ranches, and that those hunters have equal access, those are good things.

Its easy for me to imagine 10 hunters coming into camp for a hunt. The outfitter knows what guides produce, he knows what areas produce, does he assign hunters to guides and guides to areas randomly, or does he give some preference for unfair reasons? Its an easy to abuse situation unless the outfitter does it random or has some policy, how do they assign hunters to guides and guides to areas?

From what you said, "isn't that pretty much what every hunter's intention is", its somewhat based on money they give the outfitter and guide. All 10 of those hunters pay the same, they should get the same hunt. From your argument, if one pays more, he should get more. Its something to watch out for, favoritism can get abusive and be unfair if there are not policies to minimize that.

I can see it happening, I've heard of it happening, but I don't know how often it happens.

With a reputable outfitter, all the guides produce, or they won't be around long, and nobody gets stuck in a bad area. He must treat all of his hunters good, as he needs them coming back again, or at least giving good references. He can't have that kind of B.S. going on.

However, there are no doubt some bums in the hunting business, just like any other business. That is why you check references. From what I have seen, it's the hunters that go out shopping around for a "low dollar, bargain hunt" that usually come back with the bad experieces and horror stories.

Moosie said:
So I have some friends going on a Unguided drop camp hunt in AK.

thanx..............

are your friends cheap or are they short on funds?
im guessing they are cheap otherwise you wouldnt of even had the convesation at all..........tell the cheap bastards to give 75 bucks each(and to blow the dust off the bills before handing them over)

.......JB :)

I'm planning on tipping up to 10% of the hunt price, but I'm just using a transporter and not a quide.

are your friends cheap or are they short on funds?

Neither, It was a Ligit question. If the Gonig rate is 80% of the hunt so be it, They were jsut wondering what the going rate was. Only $75 ? You sound like a Cheap bastard ;)

Pointer, is that 10% whether you score or not ? Or is that 10% max ? or 10% min ?

Moosie said:
Neither, It was a Ligit question. If the Gonig rate is 80% of the hunt so be it, They were jsut wondering what the going rate was. Only $75 ? You sound like a Cheap bastard ;)

QUOTE]

i dont believe that there is a "going rate".....how many are going on the hunt?......if you guys have 5 hunters and you tip the guy 100.00 each i think he would be happy.....i suggested 75 because i felt sorry for them being your friends. ;)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back