Tips... How much ?

Moosie

Grand poopa
So I have some friends going on a Unguided drop camp hunt in AK. They will have some other hunters up there in different camps and have someone helping out with some Cooking, etc. I'm guessing helping with packing some stuff out to when they need help.

Regardless, what do you think , if any, would be an Appropriate tip ? If someone helps you pack something out and helps around camp , Do you tip them ? and if so how much ?

thanx..............

IF they are a good cook, tip them 50-100 $. If they cook, help out around camp, pack out meat, flesh capes etc plus wash their hands after they leave the shithouse and before they cook supper then tip them 250 - 400. I just tipped $7 on a $45 lunch for 5 guys, and the waitress hardly did anyting for me, but its more or less required. I always wonder why you tip 15-20% for a meal, then guys tip their guide $50 or the cook 25 who is with them and does alot for them for 8 days on end. SOme outfitter suggest tipping the price of the tag if you don't get an animal, and twice the price of the tag if you do.

Very timely topic. Hadn't even thought about it yet.

I'm not sure what level of help is going to be provided on the unguided hunt.

The only thing I have to compare it to is the unguided pig hunts in CA. I usually tipped around $50 there.

If the help staff looks like the Martin Archery poster girl, my wallet will loosen up.

One thing to consider is if you don't have alot of cash, something of value to you, hunting related is very much appreciated. Like a good knife, fishing pole, binoculars, call, sleeping bag, leatherman etc. Most guides are not greedy and a tip of something that means something from a hunter they had a great hunt with is much more meaningful. Money is nice but will just be drank away in town or blown on something that is long forgotten. When you spend 10 days 24-7 with another guy hunting hard from dawn to dark, you really don't want money, something to remeber th hunt by is better.

The best tip I ever got was a Elk Ivory ring from the biggest bull i ever guided for. The hunter got one and had one made for me.

T-bone, Personally I don't think a tip is Appropriate if you're not being guided. Although Jose was being a dork, he has a Point. You weren't tipped when going sheep hunting with me, And I'm sure you did Way more then they'll do. Although Now I'm in your debt and owe you a Sherpa service.. ;)

The tip would depend too if it's a 1 day or a 2 weeker, If I'm not mistaken you guys are going for 13 days(ish).

Next Thursday Dinner at my place when You fly in T-bone. I was actually thinking about hopping on the plane and jsut flying up there with you guys for fun for the day, Although I think Vicki thinks otherwise ...... :(

Arcat, all the feedback or info I've read or heard regarding tipping stresses cash for gratuity. Personally I'd give 50-100 to the cook/helper...200-500 to the guide dependent upon their performance...a harvest might factor but performance would be key.

another very important tip on tipping is DO NOT tip the outfitter. He is the one making the living off the outfit. Most outfitters will not accept a tip, and encourage you to give it to the guides or cooks or packers. Even if the outfitter guides you, don't tip him, pass it on down the line.

I would be careful in giving out tips. Of course tipping a camp cook/helper is harmless and the person deserves it if he/she just helped you on your hunt. Although in the case of tipping a guide you should be careful. Obviously if the guide found you a legal animal or animals and you either harvested the animal or had an honest chance at shooting the animal than a good tip should be considered (ie a hand-made knife, money). On the other hand though if the guide worked hard and showed you lots of game (does, ewes and lambs, etc.)yet you didn't seem to shoot anything or even have a chance you may have been chosen as a "cull". They may have a certain amount of tags alloted to there territory and booked more hunters than the tags they had planned to use that year. So in the end you may have just tipped your guide for pulling the wool over your eyes.

This is an "Unguided drop camp hunt ", so I am not sure that anybody needs tipped. If there is a cook/helper, then what kind of drop camp is it??? Are you paying to have the helper dropped with you???

I can tell you when I have gone to Alaska, I ALWAYS take something up for the transporter. I have taken boxes of peaches and fresh corn on the cob up in empty meat boxes. The look on the pilot's son's 5 year old face when he ate his FIRST fresh peach in his lifetime was priceless.

Yep, I purchased them the night before I got on the airplane at a local orchard. Also fresh picked corn on the cob, I husked it to save weight.

The Pilot's wife made some fresh peach pies with some of the peaches that were a bit too ripe and a bit squished, upon arrival in Dillingham.

I will also tell you that they loaned me one of their cars to drive into Pizza when we got back out of the field, and they found us a "great deal" on bed and breakfast, saving us $100.

A few years ago I ML hunted in NM with a kid that had a PUP tent and almost no food! Got his name from a customer of mine who met him when he was guiding for USO. Luckily I had plenty of food and a brand new Cabelas Alaskan tent. The kid was like a goat and had eyes like a hawk. Got me on a 360 bull at 110 yards and he drove away with a new $400 tent as a tip.

Give them cash, not items. Then they can do what they want with it.

$50 to $100 is a pretty routine tip for camp cooks and helpers.

Here is a little pointer. If you go to Manitoba fishing where they have native indian guides, don't tip your guide until after the last day. Made the mistake of tipping our guide a few bucks, after we pulled into the dock the first evening a few years ago. That was the end of that guide. He went to town and got drunk. We were late getting out the next morning, because they had to line us up a new guide.

Tips and hunting make me nervous. What if some rich guy says, I'll tip you $1000 bucks if you take me to the big one? That would lead to rotten hunting conditions then, if permitted to continue.

Those people work hard though, start before dawn and go late into the night packing out sometimes. I'd ask the outfitter about it, what's appropriate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back