Caribou Gear

Tips for calling thick bush elk

Sask hunter

Here is my dilemma our OTC rifle season starts September 15 so we have elk in rut but the under brush is so thick lots of times you can only see about 10 yards. Most people who have success hunt the private fields and shoot elk as they come out to feed. Since I haven't been able to get permission I hunt elk in the forest. Any tips for calling them in? There is a few small openings where a guy has a bit of visibility but when your following bugles usually they don't lead to a perfect small meadow to call them out in to. Do you trying calling is a waste of time and I should just sit on trails and try and catch them coming or going to the fields?

Following for sure. I have the same dilemma here in NW MT. Our underbrush can be 5-7 feet high and constant. I've followed lots of gated roads looking for any meadows or transitions but I also haven't ever found an elk....

Following for sure. I have the same dilemma here in NW MT. Our underbrush can be 5-7 feet high and constant. I've followed lots of gated roads looking for any meadows or transitions but I also haven't ever found an elk....

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back