Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tips and tricks for Tasty Eats

I'm in the process your own camp - but understand that time doesn't always allow. It can be tough when doing a hunt where one needs extensive travel to/from hunting location. I do want to second L.I. Yankee's cooking tip on salting the meat well before cooking (then rinsing). A couple of other things I like to always do are:
1. Don't defrost in the microwave. Set the frozen meat out the night before, let it thaw over night in the sink. Salt a little in the morning before I go to work (not heavy salting, just a light coat).

2. I always trim fat and as much tendons / silver skin as possible from my burger / sausage meat. If I don't have time to grind (or do sausage) - then I'll freeze and do it later when I can. Fat is the biggest one (tendon / silver skin not so much). Fat and oxygen are the enemy in the freezer.

3. If I can't process, then I'll have the processor grind - but not add back any fat / beef trim / pork trim.

Speaking of all of this - it is sausage week at my house. Cleared out my bear meat stocks last night. Tonight is elk. Tomorrow Deer.

Fresh bear sausage for dinner tonight!!

Tip #1: Process your own meat.

Tip #2: Don't use a bone saw.

Tip#3: Don't make hamburger

Tip#4: Wrap it in plastic wrap, tightly, then ziplock bag it, then freeze it.

Enjoy.
I tried Tip #4 last year. And it worked well. That said, if you put more than one plastic wrapped package in a freezer bag, IME, they are wet enough or enough blood leaks out to freeze it into a big block. Any suggestions for trying to prevent that? I was putting 3-4 one pound, plastic wrapped burger packages into one gallon freezer bag.

Tip #1: Process your own meat.

Tip #2: Don't use a bone saw.

Tip#3: Don't make hamburger

Tip#4: Wrap it in plastic wrap, tightly, then ziplock bag it, then freeze it.

Enjoy.

Agreed with everything but #3. Why in the world would you not make hamburger? That is the most versatile meat that there is. As long as it is well-cleaned and trimmed, hamburger is fantastic.

I use vac seal on the steaks/roasts/stew meat and actual plastic hamburger bags for the ground. It goes from the grinder right into the bag and then to the freezer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back