Time planning?

Funter

How long do you guys take planning what and where to hunt? Do you go by last years stats,been there and know the area, heresay or what?

I normally do the best I can delegating 2 of my 3 weeks paid vacation to my hunting. Family gets the other week. Throw in a couple of long weekend trips and that's about all the time I'm able to spend chasing my dreams.

Depends on the year, and on my ambitions. Sometimes I might spend a bit more time on a hunt/trip than I wish I had, and other's maybe not nearly enough. It's a hard thing to guess sometimes. Just go w/ what I know, throw in a ton of variables and hope for the best...

Hopefully a scout trip in early August. I bug the crap out of some guys I've met who've hunted the area and have taken me to school on it. Scouted the same area last August but did it all wrong (didn't venture far enough from the logging roads)...now have some gps coordinates and map software.
Not having an alternate plan for weather hurt last year. Mucho snow fell and we eventually concluded (as counseled by the locals) that we were searching for elk too high.

Usually there's always a few people who want to go somewhere. I base my trips on time availability. Usually take two weeks in Sept. and a week in Nov. and squeeze in lots of weekends and afterwork. I can't wait for when my 10 month ol boy can start planning trips for us to take.

After the part of where to go, and what to go after is resolved, its time to educate myself about the area from friends that have gone already. I'm getting tired of asking people what an area is like though. I like basing my trips on what I know about an area from personal experience, even if its not as good of an area someone else has, at least I myself have a good idea where the animals are.

Shed hunting is what I use for scouting, as well as bear hunting. Then in August I plan on heading out to see what the bucks are up to, and as that month is wrapping up its time to warm up on my elk calling with some very local (private land) unhuntable elk.

The most important things about my planning and scouting:
Air photos (To see where that buck went that I just spooked)
Time!!
Accessibility (quad, hike, horseback)

Well I like to wait till August and then I sit outside DeerKings house...waiting for him to unknowingly lead me to those great deer he often encounters in his secret little honey holes...LOL Don't we all wish...!!:) More seriously I find which tags I have available to hunt on and when...Early season..maps maps maps. Finding terrain, open areas, water sources, even geological maps...certain mineral contents can make for better horn growth. Then late summer....scout scout scout...know how the animals move, know your surroundings, escape routes, water holes and supply, types of feed and abundance etc...Then fall..several hard days of some intense hunting!

Sneakem - Could you please post DeerKing's address ? That sounds like an excellent strategy, following him around. Is there plenty of parking and can we get pizza and beer delivered while we wait for him to make a move ?

Seriously, I try to keep a hunt or two in the works at all times. My biggest issue is coming up with the time to do all the hunts I want to. Planning isn't much of an issue, it's an ongoing thing. I've got a big long list of things I want to do, critters that need killin, and places I want to go logged into memory. If nobody want's to go, that's OK too, I'll just go by myself.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back