Time For New Scope

OriginalOscar

Time to swap out the 4X Burris. This is what I'm thinking and would appreciate any input.

- Variable 3-9 or 2-7 or 4-12 or other?
- I have glassing options so I'm not that guy who uses the scope for glassing.
- 350 yards or less.
- Don't want range finding or lighted reticle
- Prefer Made in America (is there such a thing anymore?)

Really the only reason for upgrade is middle aged vision and desire to see the target larger.

Based on your middle aged vision, along with your other points, I'd suggest looking at Leupold's VX-3i 4.5-14 power scopes. They're a sponsor, but more importantly they also make a very good scope. As far as 'made in America' goes, I believe their glass can come from a variety of sources, but they're an American company and assembled in Oregon. If you want to step up even further then look at the VX-6 3-18 options.

I'll horse flog a 3i 3.5x10x40....trim, clear, cds compatible, good value from schmalts...good variation of power for middle aged peepers.

Leupold 3.4-10x40mm and 4.5-14x40mm are both excellent scopes that would serve you well. Their 2.5-8x36mm scope is also very nice and is a bit more compact. I still really like their 6x42 an 6x36 fixed power scopes also. USA made and they back their products!

The Zeiss Conquest scopes are also excllent and come in power ranges that are practical and not over the top. My son has one of these on his 300 WSM and it is a terrific scope.

Red field life warrantee may apply for the 'new' Redfield , but I have one , about 30 years old , that doesn't adjust. I called the new Redfield (the original company went out of business) and they told me they do not honor any scopes from the original company.

So I would go with a Leupold (I think Leopold ownes the new Redfield)

I think a Leupold VX-6 2-12 might fit your bill as well. It is a more expensive scope but I didn't see a budget listed! 2-12x-- gives you a good size obj lens, nice low power for timber situations and ability to crank it up.

Recently at the NRA convention I looked at the Vortex Razor HD LH-- The new top of the line hunting scope from Vortex. They are very lightweight, great glass and coatings and have a 2-10 and 3-15x42 model. Capped turrets with two reticle choices. The reticles are a BDC style but simple and not cluttered.

Good luck!

The SWFA fixed 6 SS gets good ink for a 300 buck scope..but weights over 20 oz, if that's a factor to you. Lupes FX 6x42 is 7 oz lighter but starts at a 100 bucks higher depending on features sought. i've been mulling a fixed 6 for a while but holding off on another rifle.

Vortex viper hs 2.5-10 around $300 and amazing glass. Best warrenty period!

And you will probably need the warranty. Gonna be interesting say, 20 to 30 years from now how these start-ups like Vortex are operating. Nice choice with the VX3i. mtmuley

And you will probably need the warranty. Gonna be interesting say, 20 to 30 years from now how these start-ups like Vortex are operating. Nice choice with the VX3i. mtmuley

Ya your probably right good things never come along; that Internet thing will never take off, Japanese cars aren't reliable...he'll I bet you don't even use a cell phone just a fad.

C

Ya your probably right good things never come along; that Internet thing will never take off, Japanese cars aren't reliable...he'll I bet you don't even use a cell phone just a fad.

C

Had a Vortex spotter broken. Out of the box. Never again. Ever. I don't buy Japanese cars, I'm typing this on a cell phone, and I love the internet. mtmuley

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back