Three Merriams down,one to go!

Hem

Hunted for three days earlier this week and scored one bird in Montana and two in South Dakota.Seemed like I spent the whole time looking over my shoulder at the weather,but standard fare.Just happy not to be seriously stuck 25 miles from help.My hunt went by too fast,one more tag to fill.Calling and stalking turkeys never gets old.

Attachments

• RSCN6812.jpg
    RSCN6812.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCN6814.jpg
    DSCN6814.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 392
  • RSCN6828.jpg
    RSCN6828.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 406
Congrats, you turkey slayer. I know you would rather kill one mature tom than a 180" mule deer, so this has to be a good week for you. Happy to see your results.

Great birds. Congrats. I squeezed in half a day in eastern Montana yesterday and apparently had one coming in, but couldn't hear him over the 60 mph winds.

Actually BigFin I would take a 180 muledeer over a gobbler,sorry to disappoint.That is,as long as it was a true 180 .Montanans are notorious for converting a 160 deer into a highly unlikely 180 deer.(for this state).:D

Hunter,
Good for you staying busy.Its a tough market these days in the building business.I've been putting together smaller jobs which is fine,...easier to break free for some hunting.Your timing will be good,the hunting only improves at this point with hens leaving gobblers mid day.Just need the weather to cooperate.I'm going to fill the last tag this week-end,hopefully.Good luck,take some pictures.

DaveHawk,
Actually I have killed a couple of easterns back in New England.Rios would be next in my sights,I suppose,but I'm pretty content with staying local in the North here.Decent birds this year,I expected them to be thinner as a result of the winter.I generally can hoist a bird and gauge its weight,these were all about 18lbs.,which indicates an average winter of forage.Beard lengths were so,so_One bird had 1 inch spurs.Three birds in three days on public land,....I'll take it.

HEM , 3 birds in 3 days is awesome ! If I did not have to drive an hour and a half to hunt I would be out everyday. LOL
Good luck on filling the last tag.

Just got back from my second hunt,looking to fill the last tag.Gobblers get the last laugh ,there were only two birds in the six square mile area I was hunting and both were "hen"ed up good.They would have nothing to do with me.

Last bird of the season.Birds were few and far between,could only locate three toms in this particular 12 sq. mile area.I got on this bird three times on two trips and finally closed the deal after his hens ditched him.Thinkin' I hiked close to eighteen total miles for this decent bird,...10 1/8 beard,but thin in the breast,maybe 17-18 lbs.Hellatious weather,wind,cold,but turned nice after I closed the deal.You have to love Montana,snow capped peaks in the background.

Attachments

• DSCN6851.jpg
    DSCN6851.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 193
Good job on the finish. Nothing like doing it in the last minute or day. Sounds like you earned that last bird.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back