Thoughts on Scouting Results

MThunter10

Hey everyone! First real post but just looking for your thoughts on what I saw scouting the other day out in Montana.

Went scouting after a light snow, and everything was mostly frozen until about 1-2 pm. I saw several tree rubs throughout the day and touched them and found the sap was dry on all of them. Until I came across an area that had about 5-10 rubs in about a 30 sq ft area, so I investigated the biggest scrap and found the sap was sticky. This area was a north facing hill with good cover, and found a muddy water hole a few hundred yards away. There was a well flowing creek near this area in a valley and had a south facing meadow across the way. Found a lot of tracks and scat in this area but that seems to be everywhere..

From what I've read this has a lot of potential but just wondering what everyone thinks? It's already October so how fresh could those rubs really be? And how would you attack this area come rifle season in two weeks? Thanks for the help!

Unlikely the bulls will be where you are finding rubs by the time the rifle season opens. Good spot to take note of for bow hunting. Also might be able to find cows around the area if there is good feed and cover to go with water you mentioned. Just depends on your objectives.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back