PEAX Equipment

This

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
1927 ain't old! Lots of houses around here from the mid-1800's, with hand-stacked stone foundations and hand-hewn beams holding up the floor. You got this!

There is such incredible opportunity right now for construction professionals who can use their Google calendar and actually communicate with people. The status quo drives me nuts.....
No doubt. I'm convinced a contractor could be 15-20% high and win a lot of jobs if they would be good at communication and scheduling...at least in my area

No doubt. I'm convinced a contractor could be 15-20% high and win a lot of jobs if they would be good at communication and scheduling...at least in my area
Dude I can't get a masonry contractor to bid a job to save my life. Had one guy return my calls and come out gave me a price which was exactly what I thought it would be. I said yup let's do it and he ghosted me. Wtf

This weeks list…

Install attic fans
Add a shit load of insulation

Pull 300 of these

View attachment 281296

Can anyone think of a good reason not to pull all the telephone wire. I can’t imagine anyone in this house will ever want a land line again?
Yes because some home defense systems and medical systems still require a hard line.

Man some trash on YouTube but a DIY guy's ultimate guide to everything.
Definitely. A few that keep popping up on my youtube algorithm is a Canadian dry wall/mud guy who's informative for newbies, and The Funny Carpenter guy for some interior finishing projects. Plus after stumbling across a This Old House vid showing the inside of a used hot water heater, it lit a fire under me to get a new one.

Lath & plaster interior walls?
No, a drywall type base with plaster product with a skim coat. It measures anywhere from 9/16 to 5/8 wall thickness. All the ceilings have detailed designs troweled in. Previous owners had high end taste and spent it on finishes. The contractor did a really nice job.

We are well beyond 15-20% higher than some in our area, at least in labor/overhead/profit. And yet I can't keep our backlog down. We have a lot of folks in our area that have moved in from out of state, and they are quite happy to spend money with someone who at least tries to communicate.

Last edited:
No, a drywall type base with plaster product with a skim coat. It measures anywhere from 9/16 to 5/8 wall thickness. All the ceilings have detailed designs troweled in. Previous owners had high end taste and spent it on finishes. The contractor did a really nice job.
We have a project right now that is all plaster interior walls. House is only 7000 square feet. The cost would floor you. Finding someone skilled to do it was a challenge also.
mtmuley

We are well beyond 15-20% higher than some in our area, at least in labor/overhead/profit. And yet I can't keep our backlog down. We have a lot of folks in our area that have moved in from out of state, and they are quite happy to spend money with someone who at least tries to communicate.
Same thing here, buddy does a cash side hustle, he is good but his communication is better. Word of mouth has him busy enough to do it full time if he wanted to.

We have a project right now that is all plaster interior walls. House is only 7000 square feet. The cost would floor you. Finding someone skilled to do it was a challenge also.
mtmuley
Yep, we called the original guy for our addition and he had retired. Next nearest guy was over a hour away and had enough business to not do the drive. We had to match it with drywall and blend it in. One wall has 5/8 on it to make it seamless. The rest we were able to just use 1/2.

It is a skill that can have amazing results but it is a dying art.

Yep, we called the original guy for our addition and he had retired. Next nearest guy was over a hour away and had enough business to not do the drive. We had to match it with drywall and blend it in. One wall has 5/8 on it to make it seamless. The rest we were able to just use 1/2.

It is a skill that can have amazing results but it is a dying art.
Part of this house is black plaster. Walls had to be laser straight. Should be interesting. mtmuley

Please remember this truism taught to me by my “handy man” father…..the job isn’t finished until after the third trip to the hardware/lumber yard.

No home repair job worse for me than plumbing. Feeling your pain @wllm
I was 99% done after only two trips and was thinking ha, but then I butter fingered the handle and it shattered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back