PEAX Equipment

This old '06

Here is my old 30-06. This rifle started life as a US model of 1917. It was eventually sporterized by someone in my family back in the late 60's, early 70's. In 1980, it received the Leupold M8 fixed 4x. By checking the scope S/N, the scope is indeed a 1980 manufactured scope. I am currently running Federal Powershok blue box ammo with 150gr projectiles obtaining 1moa at 100 yards. Given the rifle's age, this is not bad at all and is "minute-of-elk". This is by far my favorite rifle I own.

aaYl0UN.jpg
Vrh6Hwq.jpg

I was thinking about refinishing the stock, but I can't bring myself to messing with it. It's such a fine shooter that I feel messing with it may hurt it in some way.

Nice, here's mine from my grandpa, based on S/N it's from 1907. Had to change the old scope out about 10 years ago when it started fogging up, and just put this vortex on it this year. Need to ask my uncle to remind me of it's history. Only rifle I've ever used, I've thought about getting a new one, but if it ain't broke, nothing to fix, right?

Attachments

• 20200215_075759.jpg
    20200215_075759.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 40
Nice, here's mine from my grandpa, based on S/N it's from 1907. Had to change the old scope out about 10 years ago when it started fogging up, and just put this vortex on it this year. Need to ask my uncle to remind me of it's history. Only rifle I've ever used, I've thought about getting a new one, but if it ain't broke, nothing to fix, right?

What flavor is that? Is that an old savage?

It’s always good to see someone putting one of these classics to use, beautiful gun! That bolt handle really adds some character too

Those old Infields were great rifles. My father had one that was semi-sporterized I guess you could call it. He sure shot it well and those
Enfields are strong/tough actions. We went to the range one day and I had never shot this rifle before. It still had the open peep sights on it. I proceeded to hit a round 10" steel plate three times in a row at 300 yards shooting off of a bench rest. Keep that thing forever.

Inherited one of the 1917 sporters from my uncle. It still has the original ordinance barrel on it and is the most accurate rifle I own, just a bit on the heavy side. Love those old dog leg bolt handles

My cousin had one of those that he got for his 16th birthday. He sporterized it and shot hot 150-grain loads in it for many years. He may still have it, but I have not talked to him in years. He shot a lot of deer with it.

Inherited one of the 1917 sporters from my uncle. It still has the original ordinance barrel on it and is the most accurate rifle I own, just a bit on the heavy side. Love those old dog leg bolt handles

Mine as well has the original barrel on it. The sights have just been removed.

I was thinking about refinishing the stock, but I can't bring myself to messing with it. It's such a fine shooter that I feel messing with it may hurt it in some way.
I have the same thoughts with my old sporterized Springfield 1903. It’s in an old Fajen stock with a dinged buttplate, an amateurishly repaired crack and worn-out finish, but it’s my most accurate rifle, so there’s no way I’m going to mess with it until I have to.

Back