Thinking About Bears

Ike

Surprise at the Tree!

Two springs ago I had a couple bear hunters that came in to hunt with me over my dogs. I'd found a nice boar over five inches wide and hoped to fill one of those guys tags with that bear. I even had dogs on him late cold-trailing one afternoon but pulled them because of the approaching night.

We tried to cast off the rigs on him a couple times later but the dogs wouldn't go upwind far enough to reach the tracks, so during the week I took my chainsaw in there and cut two large trees off the access road hoping to get closer to him.

It worked, or so we thought, as we got a hard rig just after daylight the next time we went hunting. It was a blind rig, meaning no track to look at, but what the heck, I knew that boar was there somewhere so we shipped them.

The race went out hard, fast and covered several miles of pretty sharp country. Nevertheless, the Wolf Pack fell on the wood so we three hunters went to kill a bear. We topped a little hill into the tree and found a young bear in a sapling with all six dogs under it. It was the kinda tree w could have shook that bear out of. We all three laughed pretty hard thinking how that bear shrunk from a trophy boar to one of those high-speed runners.

I'll try and post a picture of that little fellow! I'm pumped and ready for bear--how bout you guys?

the ikester

Attachments

• beckerbearcopy.jpg
    beckerbearcopy.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 82
Hey Ike, I always have bears on my mind. I am just counting the days until next april when I can hunt them again. Filled my tag already this year.

GFHunter

GFHunter,

Glad to see you're pumped on bear as well, as I can't ever seem to get enough of the chase. Where did you hunt? What state?

We have a fall and spring hunt on different units--hope it always stays that way.

the ikester

Ike,

I hunt here in Montana. It is all spot and stalk which is really OK when you can figure out the bears. We are only allowed 1 tag a year which can be used during the spring or fall season. They are really alot easier to find in the spring. Mostly black colored but there are a few browns, reds and chocolate colors around. Good visiting talk to you soon.

Back