Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

The worse feeling ever

mdunc8

I work on the Yellowstone River during the summer and fall which allows me to spend about 50 nights camping on the river. This gives me a lot of time to do some scouting along most of the river below Billings. I've seen quite a few bucks this year and have had my eye on a few I've seen hanging out together several times this summer. I managed to squeeze in a few days of hunting down there a few weeks ago. I take pride in never loosing a deer in my short (16 years) hunting career. Well I can't make that claim anymore.

I had just finished setting up camp and started walking around when I found the group of bucks only a few hundred yards from my tent. The three of them were still hanging out together: a nice 6 point that will be a great deer next year; a really nice, thick, tall 8 point; and a monster that I didn't get a real good look at. It had rained pretty much all day so I was able to sneak behind some willows and get into position. They fed their way across a dry side channel about 50 yards in front of me. I ranged a tree they were heading towards at 39 yards. The closest buck, the nice 8 point, moved in right behind the tree. His head and neck were blocked by the tree so I didn't have a problem drawing. As I let the arrow fly, things went downhill real quick. I don't know if the tree scared me a little, even though it wasn't blocking any of the vitals, but I pulled the shot. The arrow ended up entering back in the stomach. I found the arrow which was covered in mostly stomach juice, so I backed out and let him alone over night. I now know how Randy felt when he shot his first archery elk in season 1. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much that night.

When I woke up in the morning, I didn't find much blood at all. A few good spots where I shot him, but he quickly quit bleeding. I also figured out that he was actually five paces behind the tree rather than right next to it. If you've read any of my other posts you know that I shoot an older bow and I don't pull that much weight, so there is a big different between 39 and 44 yards for me. I'm more than comfortable shooting at both those distances, but my arrow drops quite a bit after 40 yards. After two hours of searching I randomly found a small drop of blood a few hundred yards away. I started walking straight away from where I thought I was in relation to where I shot him. After about 20 minutes, I walked up on the buck bedded under a Russian olive. He was less than 10 yards away by the time I saw him. I had an arrow in my hand, but before I could get it nocked, he took off. I backed out and went back to looking that evening. No sign of him later that day or the next morning.

Loosing a beautiful, or any animal for that matter, SUCKS. I had really high hopes for this season as I had located several really nice bucks and bulls that I thought I'd be able to close the deal on. I also drew the antelope tag I was looking for and have seen several nice bucks hanging out on the ranch I'm hunting. Now it seems like this year's hunting season has quickly gone right down the sh&%%er. I should be thinking about buggling bulls right now, but I can't get the picture of that buck under the olive tree out of my mind.

Bummer Dunc. Did he seem in a bad way when you spooked him the next day? If he was going at a good clip at that time, he might make it.

Dunc, been there. It's terrible to lose an animal, and unfortunately it's does happen sometimes. Remember, something will still live because of that buck's death, it's not going to go to waste. I read on another board something along the lines (paraphrasing here) for us to utilize some 30% of an animal, and then send the byproducts of that down to a sewer treatment plant as opposed to nature using most of the animal and feeling superior about our use is rather self centered.

He came out of the bed pretty hot. Saw the entrance wound when he took off. It was back a little and low. Checked out the area under the tree and there wasn't much blood at all. Lord knows there's plenty of coyotes down there to take advantage of the free meal if he doesn't make it.

Thats a terrible feeling that most have experienced. Your respect for the animal is apparent. Like Big Fin said, these are very tough critters and you may be surprised what they can survive.

carry a bottle of hydrogen peroxide with you. stuff will pick up any and all blood. doesn't matter if you are able to see it or not. doesn't help now, but may help in the future.

Arrows are sharp and cuts clean...Like Randy said, he could make it. I have seen antelope make it after an arrow to the stomach. It stinks, but is part of hunting, anyone who says they have never lost an animal. Has not hunted long enough. It is part of it, you maybe sick about it, but it shows you care.

Hang in there!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back