MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

The Ultimate North American Hunt

Steiny

Kinda kicking around the idea of maybe doing some sort of multi species, long duration big game hunt when I turn 50, in about five years.

Would like to go somewhere really remote, far from civilization, probably a progressive horse pack trip, where you could whack 3-5 different species over a 30 day hunt, fish, loaf, sleep in a tent, and stay the heck away from electricity, gas engines, and all such contraptions for quite awhile.

Is there such a thing available, maybe BC, the Northwest territories, Yukon, AK, etc. ? Any ideas ?

I'm turning 50 this year. My ambition is to just get a 'Lope!

Wanted one since I was 5 and saw one in an Outdoor Life magazine, at my uncles house.

Went once. Drug the newlywed Ex with me, went bad. VERY BAD |oo

Then there was a War I couldn't get out of... and the EX telling me NFW... years went by. NO 'Lope. :BLEEP:

If I were headed for a dream N. American hunt I'd jump on a combo elk/deer/lope hunt. If one exist.

Otherwise, it's Africia ....Here I come!!!!!! Kudu, then anything else.. hump

Steiny...Alaska sounds good & still in the good ol' U.S. of A...hate to guess what the price might be in 5 years though.

Griz, Moose, Caribou, Wolf, Black bear all are possible with an outfitter I know in Ak Probably alot of outfitters...
I Have harvested Elk, Mulies, and Moose all in 1 area. I have also seen Whitetails and Antelope within 10 miles of this same place, but it is not very remote.

You could go to Frank Church wilderness area in Idaho. Hunt elk, deer, bear, cougar. You can backpack, horse pack, float in, or fly in.

How do you plan on caring for the meat?

Fart around in the Muskwa-Kechika range for a month in British Columbia, and smoke a not bad Caribou, big bull Moose, a nice Elk, a whopper Billie is a given and finally wonder around the area where the mighty Chadwick Ram was nailed and if you're lucky, nuke a huge Stone's Sheep yourself. Oh yeah, if you have room after that bring back a gagger Wolf, and a fat Blackie, and super duper Griswald!

You might need a big check-book though...For something like that a really big checkbook...!

Steiny,

Have you been nipping on the Jack.......O'Connor lately. 30 day multi game hunt would be fun and expensive. I talk to an old timer once who did something like that way back when in B. C. and took a Stone, griz, bou, goat and moose for around $1000 if he wasn't b. s.ing me. A friend did a 17 day mixed bag hunt in the Yukon last year a shot a griz, fannin, and moose, and is going back again in a couple years. The Canadian hunts have gotten a lot more spendy as of late, and are out of my price range for now. Here are some pics of my 2001 hunt with the same Yukon outfitter as my friend just went on.

What the heck happened with that last post? Anyway this Yukon outfitter has one pack string available but most hunters are placed with super cub and then backpack. A lot of the NWT outfitters are back pack only due to lack of horse feed and remoteness of trailing horse in for the season. Some of the more southerly outfitters use horse. No griz hunting in the McKenzies either although you'll see a lot expecially if you have meat in camp.

I think Alaska is the best deal right now for one on a budget, and most of the outfitters use horses. P. M. me if you want some more info on good outfitters up north for a hunt like this. I know several. Here's one more Yukon pic if I can get it to work.

BTW if you have never seen Gordon Eastmans videos Challanging the Northwest Territories, and High Wild and Free, check them out. They are pretty good examples of what the Good Old days were like on all fall hunt up North.

I think I'd look into going to B.C. You could hunt a pile of critters there, you may have to travle a little to get it done though... I would think you could easily hunt 5+ diffrent big game critters. Moose, deer, goat, elk, bear, sheep +...

Or you could do a totally wild free ranging Tanzania African plains game and Dangerous game hunt in country so remote they have to truck in air. You can do a 28 day safari and kill tons of different animals from the smallest antelopes to cape buffs, Lions, leapords, elephant, etc. But it won't be cheap.

Following is my pricing for the 2005 Season; This does not include trophy fees. Trophy fees are set by the Government and the Government gets all trophy fees.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

7 day safari -

1 x 1 = $ 11,200.00
2 x 2 = $ 10,550.00 each client
2 x 1 = $ 9,000.00 each client

16 day safari -

1 x 1 = $ 25,500.00
2 x 2 = $ 23,500.00 each client
2 x 1 = $ 20,500.00 each client

21 day safari -

1 x 1 = $ 31,200.00
2 x 2 = $ 29,500.00 each client
2 x 1 = $ 25,000.00 each client

28 day safari -

1 x 1 = $ 41,550.00
2 x 2 = $ 38,950.00 each client
2 x 1 = $ 34,500.00 each client

Hunting 2 areas must be at least 24 days (21 day price plus $ 4,455.00, for 24
days) + 1 travel day. No charge for travel days other than charter flight and
possible vehicle rental. Vehicle rental @ $250.00. Serious elephant hunters
should plan to book 28 days for elephant. Those willing to take it as a target
of opportunity, 21 days is fine. Elephant safaris should not start before the
third week in September. Legal Elephants to shoot must be 17 1/2 kgs. or 170
centimeters in length.

Client must provide all relevent documents to import the Elephant upon arrival.
In some countries this is a problem. If it becomes a problem, I can sort it
out. Lion, Leopard safaris should be in July, August, the first week in
September. Buffalo and plains game, July through December.

Safaris include -

Specified hunting concessions, reserved for your exclusive use.

Private hunting camps reserverd for your exclusive use.

Private hunting vehicle for the hunting party.

Transportation within the hunting concession.

A modern 4-wheel drive hunting vehicle, equipped with a winch, comprehensive
tool kit and spare parts.

Services of a Licensed Professional Hunter , complete safari staff, including
gun bearers, trackers, skinners,cooks,tent and mess attendants and assistants.

Expert care and preparation of all trophy animals.

The provision of all camp equipment including spacious specially designed
tents, safari beds with comfortable mattresses, camp furniture, linen, water
filters, generators, fridges, deep freezers, and camp radio.

Finest quality food, fresh fruit and vegetables available. Special dietary
requirements will be catered to as much as possible.

Wines available locally, beer, soft drinks and bottled water.

Comprehensive medical first-aid supplies in each camp and vehicle.

Emergency medical air evacuation from the nearest air strip.

Daily laundry service.

Safaris do not include -

Charter flights (at prevailing rates), to the hunting area, or change of hunting
area, any commercial flights from home to Tanzania or within Tanzania, frieght
of a personal nature or overweight charges for commercial flights or upgrading
of plane needed for charter.

Government Conservation fee - $ 100.00 per hunter, per day.

Government Community Development fee - $50.00 per hunter, per day + 15% of
trophy fees.

Government Hunting license - 7 day = $450.00 - 16, 21, 28 day = $600.00

Transportation of trophies to Arusha or Dar es Salaam, trophy documentation,
Government trophy export permits, veterinarian certificates, ownership
certificates - 7 day = $1,500.00 - 16 day = $1,800.00 - 21 day = $2,000.00 - 28
day = $2,400.00.

Trophy fees paid at the conclusion of the safari, based on a Government trophy
fees per animal taken/wounded.

Daily rate for Observers, including Government Conservation fee - $300.00 per
person, per day.

National Park fees (if necessary, or required).

Bonded liquor, champagne.

Hotel accommodations before or after the safari (or if required).

Transportation to the hunting camp(s) other than by charter, i.e. vehicle or
train.

Shipment of trophies to final destination.

Gratuities to camp staff/trackers/Professional Hunters.

Government Firearms Import/Export permit @ $250.00 each (Modern, suitable
firarms available for hire upon request).

Government tax on ammunition - Approximately $75.00

Some good ideas here. I'm inclined to think BC or maybe the Yukon or NWT would be best bet for something like this. Heck yes it would be expensive, but you only go around once. Better to be a little poorer when they plant you and have that on your resume, that to only dream about it and give a bunch of dough to your heirs.

If business remains good and my wife doesn't kill me, it might be doable. If money gets tight, then backup plan might be a WY, SD, ID, MT, etc., month long, multi state deer hunt, which would also be a hoot.

No interest in Africa at this time. Too many critters on this continent that need killin yet. First foreign continent/country I'll go to will probably be Russia for moose, bear, sheep, etc., or Argentina for red stag.

Better to be a little poorer when they plant you and have that on your resume, that to only dream about it and give a bunch of dough to your heirs.
That's one of the best quotes I've read here in a long time! The multi-state deer hunt would be FUN!

I think a British Columbia hunt would just fill the ticket for you.

There are many options and outfitters.

What game animals do you primarily want to hunt and hopefully harvest ???

Do your research first, not all outfitters and outfitting areas are equal. Local die offs due to weather, disease, preditors, over harvest, ect are common and the person selling the hunt is not always upfront about it. Some areas in B C are starting to experience excesive resident pressure as well. Less resident pressure and larger outfitter territories would lead me to look closer at the Yukon or NWT over B C for a hunt like this. But what animals you would like to hunt and how you can hunt them (pack string, backpack, super cub access or float plane, river boat, ect) would be most important to what area you choose. Bottom line do your research, check lots of references, and cross your fingers before booking a once in a life time hunt like this.

I say Alaska all the way. But i warn you you may never want to leave. Sheep, Goats Bears ( Brown Black Griz) Musk Ox, Caribou, Sitka Blacktails, Elk, oh yeah and Moose!!! Plus seeing some of the most romote country on this planet. Absolutly beautiful. I promise you will love it. But of course do you research on your outfitters!!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back